• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gainward gf4 ti 4600 will not oc!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

onx

ok i had a gainward gf4 ti 4400 die, checked newegg and Do'h! over a year old (it wasnt REALLY that dead just had heat issues i guess after 20 mins or so system would crash cause of the card o well) so i called up gainward and the offered to replace it w00t

so i ship it off and a few weeks later i get it back, not a gf4 ti 4400 but A TI4600!!! w00t

i plop it in my comp and bam first thing im like omg this pos is broken too! NOOOOO then i realize im accidentally trying to OC it...(using the tool provided by gainward) and i was only slightly trying to OC and was still "in the green" according to the tool but it was not liking it. fortunatly the card is 100% stable at default settings but really...this card is supposed to be a "golden sample" (like my 4400) and its not OCing at all! (btw i think it was stable in ut2k3 but i play tribes 2 and if you are fimilar with that game you know that its hardest on hardware, harder than any other game, if you can play that game for 2 hours straight you KNOW your comp is 150% STABLE in everything else)

so anyway any ideas as to what i can do to get more otta this thing

heres my system:

PSU: antec true blue power 480W
CPU: amd athlon xp 2400+(2ghz) @ 2.35ghz (138x17)
mobo: gigabyte GA-7vax
ram: 512MB kingston ddr 266)
and 2 western digital HDs (80 & 120GB)
and 2 cdrom drives
and of cource the ti 4600

would raising the agp voltage help?

thanks for your help in advance

better airflow over the card? I have found that an 80mm blowhole over the AGP slot can make a HUGE differnce in video card overclocking, even if you dont change the cards cooling at all.

yeah im thinking about adding a 120MM fan in the window over the agp and chipset...

my case is the chieftek dragon and in the bottom front i have 2 80mms blowing in
in the top rear i have 2 80mm blowing out and at the top i have a 120mm blowhole...

case temps are 41C (seems high concidering the air blowing out of my case isnt warm at all.....)

I would have to agree that the card is overheating. Try a new heatsink or adding a fan like was said above. Also, you can try removing the heatsink on there now and putting some as3 down there, that will help temperatures, too.

onx said:
(btw i think it was stable in ut2k3 but i play tribes 2 and if you are fimilar with that game you know that its hardest on hardware, harder than any other game, if you can play that game for 2 hours straight you KNOW your comp is 150% STABLE in everything else)

Poor programming does not equate to a computer-intensive program, although it may seem otherwise.

the card seems to have only the standard nvidia gf4 heatsink/fan do you reccomend anything else?

RMA this on too,when it came with overclocktool then it must be a GOLDEN SAMPLE and on those cards GAINWARD warrants an overclocking (thats why they send the tool),your card wont do the warranted overclock so send it back

ferria said:
RMA this on too,when it came with overclocktool then it must be a GOLDEN SAMPLE and on those cards GAINWARD warrants an overclocking (thats why they send the tool),your card wont do the warranted overclock so send it back

Yeah thats right, but gainward only warrants up to a limited overclock. On my ti4200 with 4ns memory, it only warrants up to 260 core 500 mem from stock speeds of 250/446 core/mem. This could be similar to your ti4600. Check the manual/enhanced mode settings on the overclocker tool. They won't warrant your card if it goes over the "enhanced mode" settings. In other words if it does ok in enhanced but it doesn't go over by much then they will say this card is perfectly fine.

Back