• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Galaxy S2 vs Xperia S - looking for a cheap upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rich'[ard]

Hey guys,
I'm just looking for some advice on the 2 phones above.
I know they're fairly old but there's nothing better for $30 cap (don't want to spend more since i'm a student). It's all we get here in Australia :santa:

Specs wise, the Xperia S seems to be a nicer phone. Better resolution, better camera. Only think i don't like is that it doesn't have a micro SD slot.
i'm not too fussed since the Xperia S internal storage is more than enough for the amount of music i listen to.
I'm looking to put custom roms on the phone straight away and i know you can't beat the support for Galaxy phones (using a Galaxy S atm)
After a quick look on XDA forums there seems to be decent support for the Xperia S with a few Jelly bean roms etc so pretty happy with that.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1950706

I'm currently using 160dpi on my Galaxy S so everything looks tiny. I'm no doubt going to do this to which ever phone i get because i hate the stock setting as everything looks huge. I'm bringing this up because i'm wondering; if i shrink the resolution on the Galaxy S2, will the Xperia S's native resolution still provide a better viewing experience? The Galaxy S2 is 480p whereas the Xperia S is 720p.

If anything, I can change again in 6 months or so, and i'd like to try out a Sony phone as they look pretty damn nice :attn:
So if the Xperia S is a worthy competitor i'd like to give it a shot, but if there's something i'm missing i'll stick to the trustworthy S2 for sure.

The 2 most important areas for me are specs and support for custom roms etc

Cheers for any suggestions!

Modding support for Galaxy S2 is huge, I myself currently have one and have went through countless amounts of ROMs as there is so much variety, yet so little time.

Sony...meh. Hardware is always a downside in Sony phones. I have not touched much Sony related phones since past experience have been so poor:- always ended up breaking within 6 months.

Have no issues in last year and a half with my Galaxy S2, and it's been through the wash, literally.

Resolution on the S2 is decent enough, not 720p standard, but for a phone 480p is more than adequate.

Modding support is usually higher with Galaxy devices as the chipsets are more communally used.

As I have had bad experience with Sony phones in the past I would say go for the galaxy S2; the hardware is still maintaining with the newer phones and it was in the top 10 for so long, if not still there.

thanks for the reply :)

to be honest, i only looked at the Xperia S because of it's design; the Galaxy S2 does look a bit tacky...or maybe my brother just keeps his in crap condition lol.
The sony looks much sleeker and high-end, and the specs didn't look too bad.

I'll see what i can find on google about the overall durability of sony phones :thup:

update:
tested out the Xperia S at the shop today...the thing feels quite laggy, compared to even the Galaxy S2. Then switching over to test the Galaxy S3 and there was just no comparison lol.

The Xperia S on display was on gingerbread while the S2 on display was using ICS so that might be a factor...but still i think i'l be sticking with the S2

any other thoughts/suggestions much appreciated!

update:
tested out the Xperia S at the shop today...the thing feels quite laggy, compared to even the Galaxy S2. Then switching over to test the Galaxy S3 and there was just no comparison lol.

The Xperia S on display was on gingerbread while the S2 on display was using ICS so that might be a factor...but still i think i'l be sticking with the S2

any other thoughts/suggestions much appreciated!

I can't fault my S2, even after a year and half it is still quick and flawless.

We have about 7 S3's here in the office for testing and of course they are quicker, but so is the price tag :(

We also have a few Note 2's in the office, which are again quicker, but they are a prime phone lol.

I have never been fussed with Sony in general due to previous experiences. If you went for the Galaxy you wouldn't regret it tbh.

mm yeah, my brother has one and it sure does feel a little flimsy, but then again on the plus side it's lightweight.

i think i'll stick with the S2 then. It's not that i don't like it, i just thought maybe i'd give something else a shot ;)
If i get bored of it i'll be able to change handsets in another 6 months so hopefully the S3 or something similar gets a bit cheaper by then!

Back