• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gamers and Enthusiasts tired of LAMEGG, CRAPAZON, Etc starting our own Company.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an opinion based on a personal experience. Period.

Why are personal experiences discounted as false here? Repeatedly I've found that.

Personal experiences are what make the product worlds go round.

Would you pass off your Toyota's transmission failing as "Personal Experience?"

And then wait untill a recall to complain/push others away from buying that model/make?

Lol.

Yes I would. What about the other 4 million toyotas that didn't have tranny failure? Its myopic thinking to take a user experience, especially a singular experience like you described and assume that across a brand. Its the same story with this example... what the other million cards?

Why are personal experiences discounted as false here? Repeatedly I've found that.

Personal experiences are what make the product worlds go round.

Would you pass off your Toyota's transmission failing as "Personal Experience?"

And then wait untill a recall to complain/push others away from buying that model/make?

Lol.

There is a difference between giving your opinion ans stating it as a fact with no proof.

Its myopic thinking to take a user experience, especially a singular experience like you described and assume that across a brand.

Fiddlesticks!

I guess we all don't think the same!

Going back on topic, what extra value would you bring compared to the existing online shops?

Knowing that most of us here would not take a sales man advice into consideration, as even if the customer is King, their business is God...

If your concerned about AMD's quality then don't deal with XFX unless all the GPU's are reference, XFX's designs are junk.
There's my user experience therefore fact !

Fiddlesticks!

I guess we all don't think the same!

I forgot the word to describe people that Ed was describing...oh right... arrogant. :p

It's pretty damn arrogant to think your personal experience dictates whether a brand is good or not, because you're basically saying that only what happens to you matters and everyone else's experience doesn't matter.

Now when your opinion is formed over actual facts, such as measured failure rates for example, to hell with what anyone thinks because you know that it's universally true. It's a fact, and nobody can dispute that.

Science (correctly done) is just way more reliable than opinion. You can think based on whatever you want, and that's okay, but you have to justify something with facts before you actually know it.

And this post isn't really my "opinion" on the matter, I actually cracked open my epistemology textbook to answer it (the philosophy of how people know things).

Last edited:
Given enough time every manufacturer of any product will manage to let at least one get thru the system that is not going to perform as intended. With the latest in Statistical Process Controls the best that can be done is to minimize error rates. This assumes that more than a handful are made of course; the address is to high volume production. And further, with enough use/abuse the products that come off the manufacturing line will eventually wear out, fail, fall apart, turn to star dust given enough time.

As so eloquently stated above, but ill quoted by me, opinions are like a** holes, everybody has one. But only one sound comes out of the a** hole. :cool:

I forgot the word to describe people that Ed was describing...oh right... arrogant.

It's pretty damn arrogant to think your personal experience dictates whether a brand is good or not, because you're basically saying that only what happens to you matters and everyone else's experience doesn't matter.

Now when your opinion is formed over actual facts, such as measured failure rates for example, to hell with what anyone thinks because you know that it's universally true. It's a fact, and nobody can dispute that.

Science (correctly done) is just way more reliable than opinion. You can think based on whatever you want, and that's okay, but you have to justify something with facts before you actually know it.

And this post isn't really my "opinion" on the matter, I actually cracked open my epistemology textbook to answer it (the philosophy of how people know things).

Well of course only my opinion (or experience) matters.

Are you buying me a new GFX card after the one I have microstutters me to death?

No?

Either way, my experience will trump any other, because it is indeed my money. I feel it would be amplified in a business sense. My mother owns a flower shop, and certain businesses (suppliers) have crossed her, tried to scam her, and she's dropped them like a rock.

BOOM. There went $40,000 yearly profit for them.

There are many suppliers, but far fewer customers. The one with higher quality service, products, etc will win out. Such is the way.

Given enough time every manufacturer of any product will manage to let at least one get thru the system that is not going to perform as intended. With the latest in Statistical Process Controls the best that can be done is to minimize error rates. This assumes that more than a handful are made of course; the address is to high volume production. And further, with enough use/abuse the products that come off the manufacturing line will eventually wear out, fail, fall apart, turn to star dust given enough time.

As so eloquently stated above, but ill quoted by me, opinions are like a** holes, everybody has one. But only one sound comes out of the a** hole.

Obviously, but some corporations are prone to lesser quality products overall.

Nieman Marcus > Kohls
Porsche > Ford

Etc.

Yes, in the end, only your opinion matters to you. That's perfectly fine.

However, the primary purpose of this forum is advice giving and a repository of information for people. Your opinion is applicable to you, and therefore not applicable to us. Your opinion, while it is good for you, is probably bad advice for someone else. Only facts are universally applicable to everyone. You can tell someone to not get XYZ video card because you had microstuttering issues. I can say don't get XYZ video card because xx% percent of users had microstuttering issues. Which one of those is a better, more reliable, and more credible piece of advice?

Yes, of course yours is [advice], untill they see for themselves just how dubious the quality of certain products really is.

And then they wonder why they didn't listen to people with experience instead of just numbers.

One must take both genetics (numbers) and environment (other's experiences) in deciding upon a product.

Otherwise, if others experiences are so invalid, why even read reviews?

Why does Overclockers even do reviews? Are their opinions and personal experiences really that important?

See how I flipped it on you?

Yes, of course yours is [advice], untill they see for themselves just how dubious the quality of certain products really is.

And then they wonder why they didn't listen to people with experience instead of just numbers.

One must take both genetics (numbers) and environment (other's experiences) in deciding upon a product.

Otherwise, if others experiences are so invalid, why even read reviews?

Why does Overclockers even do reviews? Are their opinions and personal experiences really that important?

See how I flipped it on you?

I think you are mis-understanding knufire's reasoning.

Just because you had an issue that one-in-x have, doesn't mean that all 100% will have it, when in fact I'm willing to bet the % is very small. I'm sorry that you had microstutter issues with an AMD card. I've bought, played games with, and benched numerous AMD cards (as well as nVidia) and have never had microstutter problems.

It's unfortunate that one poor experience on your part has made you determined to never have an open mind toward an entire brand and thus put you into the area of fanboy-dom for nVidia. Overclockers (and most other trustworthy sites) do reviews from an unbiased point of view, stating facts and sometimes opinions (if they require subjective points, but they are stated as such, and not as fact).

I fear that this thread has gone way off topic, and could probably be separated or just stopped to where it is heading.

On topic:
I wish the OP the best of luck, although I'm unsure where the benefits are (from my/our POV) unless he can provide a cheaper price or even faster shipping than Newegg/Amazon/InsertBigName

I think you are mis-understanding knufire's reasoning.

Just because you had an issue that one-in-x have, doesn't mean that all 100% will have it, when in fact I'm willing to bet the % is very small. I'm sorry that you had microstutter issues with an AMD card. I've bought, played games with, and benched numerous AMD cards (as well as nVidia) and have never had microstutter problems.

Of course, I'm not an idiot. Nobody has to take opinions for 100%, just to put them into their descision making.

It's unfortunate that one poor experience on your part has made you determined to never have an open mind toward an entire brand and thus put you into the area of fanboy-dom for nVidia. Overclockers (and most other trustworthy sites) do reviews from an unbiased point of view, stating facts and sometimes opinions (if they require subjective points, but they are stated as such, and not as fact).

Impossible to prove, biases are everywhere. Like when government panels are "non-partisan"

Previous my experience, I was completely open to any GFX card that would get the job done. Previously to that build I had a GTX 9500, or somesuch, can't quite remember. Was nVidia for sure. Never had an issue.

Below is the exact moment when I decided to get an ATI 5770.

http://www.pchelpforum.com/xf/threads/a-new-computer-plus-other-questions.87783/#post-479609

Back then I was just a dumb kid, but now I see the light =P

I too wish the OP the best of luck, please PM me the link to your site when its complete, I would be happy to buy from you =P

Although, it'll be hard to compete with Amazon Prime, and Superbiiz's low prices, more competition is lower prices for erryone.

No offense sir, but if you would choose to shop somewhere else that is up to you. By all means. Sorry you feel that way, but you really shouldn't take things so personal.

I'm not taking it personally, it's just that if you're selling AMD parts and you start by saying that it's a "hassle" to deal with them, I'd rather have someone actually interested in selling the part I would buy, not likely roll their eyes and mutter under their breath because they don't like dealing with that company.

Frankly, I'm not buying from any shop with any sort of brand biased or loyalty. Or one that lets go of potential customers that easily, and professes that they are the "expert" and can't be wrong. :shrug:

I'm sure you'll do well, but the attitude you've come onto these forums with is not one that inspires confidence in potential consumers.

1. First up, let's go ahead and lay it right out here, we want to be Sponsors, or Hardware Vendors on here. Where might we go for that?

2. We are thinking about how much we wish we could go somewhere that will have all the things we want like an Awesome CPU, and Awesome MoBo, and CPU Cooler, and Case, and all that stuff in one Combo Kit or Bundle (Can someone please explain the difference between a Combo Kit and a Bundle?) then buy only those in one stop, instead of from 5 different vendors. We all know what a total PIA that can be. With 1 out of 5 transactions on average going wrong, this is a must for us. Why nothing has been created before is beyond us. Would you guys love this as much as we would?
This has been created before and theres many websites offering this exact service. Its not hugely popular but does get some business. The larger problem with it that I see is options. EVERYONE has different opinions, wants, needs, and tastes and its nearly impossible to please all of those. Offering only specific bundles will limit your client base SEVERELY.

3. Being able to forgo the Mail-in rebates. I have worked in this industry long enough to know that Mail-ins are a farce. They take 4-6 weeks to process, and 1/3 have an issue. Would you guy pay a little more not to ever have to deal with Mail-ins? We would.
First off, MIR are from the manufacturer. To forgo them, you will have to eat the initial cost I would assume and collect them yourselves. While that is a noble thing, I have a hard time believing that a small company just starting up is going to be able to compete price wise with the likes of Amazon, Newegg, NCIX, and others. Money talks, and theres MANY large companies that offer customer service good enough that their 10% lower price is going to win over your excellent (or presumed to be) customer service and slightly higher pricing.

4. What are some of the GOOD things that online vendors do that you guys really like?
RMAs without hassle. Amazon does this the best in my opinion. Newegg is such a hassle to get stuff paid for to get it back when its DOA. Its not simple. I cant just go online and get a shipping label and do it all online. You must contact someone. Amazon is straight forward and easy. Ive only had to return 2 things to Amazon and they give you a prepaid label to print out. Also Amazons Prime membership cant be beat for the money. Free 2 day shipping on TONS of items for only $80/year? And they process instock items FAST. I can order Monday and receive Wednesday (or Tuesday for $4 more).

5. What are some of the BAD things?
Poor RMA like I stated above. I also hate the automated price changing that many websites adopt due to supply/demand/market changes. Thats a joke and something Newegg seems to be infamous for these days. Newegg had it all right 12-14 years ago. Best company to purchase parts and computers PERIOD. Take a page from their OLLLLD playbook. Also, one thing that drives me nuts is Amazons lack of item descriptions. They seem to skimp on giving details about products alot whereas Newegg is a bit better about this.

Please let us know and let's keep this thread a live. We have already started to launch our company and this IS happening. You guys have a chance to be on the ground floor of this, so we would suggest all of you at least pay some mind, and if you could please give us some of your time for thoughts and questions.

We have secured start-up capital, a location in Downtown San Diego, some awesome distribution contacts, and are building our team as we speak. So this IS happening. This is not some idea, or fantasy. Also, this is not MY first Rodeo and have several other start-ups that have been successful.

Thanks Guys, Brandon Meade out :salute:
If you guys can offer COMPETITIVE prices on TONS of products, you will be successful. Shipping QUICKLY is a must for customer satisfaction and not screwing us on shipping prices is always advised. I would HIGHLY suggest you dont just blow off AMD. You are trying to cater to US, the enthusiast, and yet you are taking away a product that we want to try. Thats a VERY poor business practice. You cant let your personal feelings for a MAJOR product have an effect on what people want. I could understand blowing off certain brands that you deem not up to standard, but to blow off a MAJOR manufacturer is just plain stupid and VERY poor business practice.

I thought the first rule of business is not to talk down your competitors to your customers rather explain what you will do better.

Therefore the thread title is very chldish, and I call shens on the whole idea.

After reading the OP's posts I'm not sure I would actually want to buy anything from his "store".

Seems overly certain that he is superior to everyone else and inclined to talk down to them if they disagree with his views in the slightest.

Aside from that, I wouldn't want to deal with a store where I have to pay more to get the same thing in order to avoid mail-in rebates and the like. Since I don't use the rebates normally anyway I would just be paying more for the same items for no real reason.

You see, not everyone even bothers with dealing with the rebates, so charging more in order to avoid them isn't always helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back