• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Games fail to start

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

data1

Hi
I upgraded my graphics card a while ago (from HD 6870 to RX 480) and ever since most of my PC games fail to start. I tried reinstalling direct-X and keeping the drivers up to date but to no avail.

(games installed after the upgrade seem to work)

Here's some of the error messages I get by trying to run games:

Code:
No suitable graphics card found.

Could not find a Direct3D device that supports the XNA Framework Reach profile.

Verify that a suitable graphics device is installed.

Code:
Your 3D accelerator card and/or your video card could not be initialized properly.  

Please update the drivers for your 3D and/or video card.  

Contact your manufacturer to obtain the latest drivers.

Any ideas what I could try?

thanks!

Hi
I upgraded my graphics card a while ago (from HD 6870 to RX 480) and ever since most of my PC games fail to start. I tried reinstalling direct-X and keeping the drivers up to date but to no avail.

(games installed after the upgrade seem to work)

Here's some of the error messages I get by trying to run games:

Code:
No suitable graphics card found.

Could not find a Direct3D device that supports the XNA Framework Reach profile.

Verify that a suitable graphics device is installed.

Code:
Your 3D accelerator card and/or your video card could not be initialized properly.  

Please update the drivers for your 3D and/or video card.  

Contact your manufacturer to obtain the latest drivers.

Any ideas what I could try?

thanks!
try this and reinstall the latest drivers http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Did you try a clean uninstall of the Video drivers then install?

yes the first option "clean and restart" (in DDU). And in safemode.

then i booted back to normal mode and installed drivers again.

you may have to reinstall the games or at least do a verify install steam and origin I believe have this option check your specific games.

Ok I tried reinstalling one game and it still gives the same error. something is badly wrong, I wonder if I have to reinstall whole OS.

Edit:
tried reinstalling another game, same errors.

Last edited:
Does your GPU have any exclamation points by it in the Device Manager?

Are you certain you installed the gpu correctly? Try powering down and reseating it (take it out and put it back in carefully). While you have it out of there check to make sure the pcie slot is clear and that a crumb or something didnt fall in there by accident. Also (and this one is easy to do, we've all done it) make certain you have the vga 6pin power cord plugged in on the card. If none of that works then you might have to try a different mobo to see of the issue repeats itself: if it does it on another board then you known its time to RMA the gpu.

I would reinstall windows or try on a old extra HDD but really instaling w10 takes what 15 min ?

Does your GPU have any exclamation points by it in the Device Manager?

Are you certain you installed the gpu correctly? Try powering down and reseating it (take it out and put it back in carefully). While you have it out of there check to make sure the pcie slot is clear and that a crumb or something didnt fall in there by accident. Also (and this one is easy to do, we've all done it) make certain you have the vga 6pin power cord plugged in on the card. If none of that works then you might have to try a different mobo to see of the issue repeats itself: if it does it on another board then you known its time to RMA the gpu.

I checked device manager, all seems good there.

I have some games running so i don't think I forgot to plug the cable, I think in that case nothing would work...

- - - Updated - - -

I was thinking of trying to reinstall direct-x, any one know good direct-x removal tool because I need to do that first?

I

I have some games running so i don't think I forgot to plug the cable, I think in that case nothing would work...

[/QUOTE ]

Well... Maybe? A certain amount of wattage is drawn from the pcie slot itself, but whether that is only enough to display the BIOS or maybe enough to do some light gaming would take smarter folks than I to say. You are probably right, but its just one of the pit stops in troubleshooting :)

Reinstalling is a good bet. I reinstall at the drop of a hat, but it would still be nice to know its needed before proceeding with an ordeal like that. Granted today's reinstall doesn't take anywhere near the time it used to...

As for reinstalling direct x.... Im not a big gamer but I haven't had to install direct X since windows xp days. I thought it was bundled in the driver package in modern systems.

I'd do a reinstall as well at this point. I'm starting to have some issues as well after a few bsods trying to get 5.0 stable. I'm considering reinstalling now that my rig is finally done

I checked the cable today and its plugged.

I learned that direct-X 11 comes with windows 7... and I also learned that win 7 only supports up to direct-x 11 and my card is direct-x 12 card, maybe that's somehow related to the problem.

Nope the cards backwards compatible. I did my reinstall yesterday and my games are back to behaving like they should. I'd suggest a full reinstall

I'm just wondering even though this may not be a needed thing but in your BIOS have you made sure your motherboard loads up the PCI-E port only it's what I have set in mine as I have disabled onboard GPU completely and it's set to find the PCI-E 16x port for main GPU. Also you could use Driver fusion https://treexy.com/products/driver-fusion install that start the uninstall process of the AMD driver then once done I don't reboot straight away I then run Driver Fusion and ask it to find AMD display drivers then I delete them and reboot.

I then do to C: inside that there's usually a folder called AMD and delete it providing you don't use the AMD chipset driver but since your using the same CPU as me it'll be a INTEL chipset I then install the latest drivers and reboot for DX the only one you can update is DX9.0c the last version for that was June 2010 which I think you can still download.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

Turns out I did not have the latest drivers and I installed them and now all my games seem to work. Apparently you cannot trust the automatic installer to install the latest drivers. Had to manually download the latest.

Good to hear that you have the problem solved. I always install drivers manually just to make sure I know what is going on with the workings of the PC.

For the video drivers my experience is that Microsoft is always behind the GPU manufacturer in what is the latest release since MS hasn't necessarily had time to vet it yet. But other MS updates may change the way what is installed works and that can cause problems.

Back