• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming computer upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Um side note should I just take out that stick of 2gb to dual channel the 4gb?

Going to 4gb of dual-channel will be more efficient for your computer. If you don't use any program that is so RAM-intensive that if uses more than 4gb, take a stick out. If you do use a program that needs more than 4gb, don't touch it.

However: If you DON'T use a program that needs greater than 4gb and you DO take a stick out, you likely WON'T see any difference in daily usage without using a benchmarking program that can quantify the difference.

I don't see what program would unless one of my games? Thats really all I use and some web browsing. Sometimes I record with fraps and do some sony vegas editing thats all I can think of. And playing spec opps the line only uses 2.11gb.

That's a monster fan for sure. Hope you don't mind noise.

I don't...I ran fans that loud ~2ft from my ear for a looong time.

You still need an aftermarket heatsink that'll fit in your case.

Are you good with tools at all? Could just cut a slot for an intake fan. 120mm hole saw, a file, some dryer duct.

That's a monster fan for sure. Hope you don't mind noise.

I don't...I ran fans that loud ~2ft from my ear for a looong time.

You still need an aftermarket heatsink that'll fit in your case.

Are you good with tools at all? Could just cut a slot for an intake fan. 120mm hole saw, a file, some dryer duct.

Ah not great, I probably would but I might want to sell this sometime in the future and if it looks kinda messed up from the outside I don't know if someone would buy it lol. I was going to get http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065 as wayward son suggested. And also http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5472148&CatId=501 to keep the fan a little quieter.

There's a trick you can do with a Molex connecter. You can change out the 12V wire for the 5V and run the fan at 5V, or wire the 5V to ground and the 12V in to run at 7V.

You know I was thinking what if I just got a new processor for my mobo? Say I didn't really care to OC it wouldn't that give me some kind of performance increase? And if getting a new MOBO to OC now that can't handle the next line of amd cpus I'd pretty much be wasting 80$ for just a little bit of boost if I OC.

Last edited:
You know I was thinking what if I just got a new processor for my mobo? Say I didn't really care to OC it wouldn't that give me some kind of performance increase? And if getting a new MOBO to OC now that can't handle the next line of amd cpus I'd pretty much be wasting 80$ for just a little bit of boost if I OC.

What are you looking to gain, how is your current setup failing you?

Those questions have answers that can be given.

What are you looking to gain, how is your current setup failing you?

Those questions have answers that can be given.
Well I play on a 1080p monitor and I just can't play games like BF3 at decent frame rate (45+ fps) with high/max settings and resolution.

Well I play on a 1080p monitor and I just can't play games like BF3 at decent frame rate (45+ fps) with high/max settings and resolution.

lol you are using a 6770 same as me.

my 1090T is a bit better then your athlon quad core.

Think I can play BF3 at highest settings?

I dunno I am asking... Differnce between system settigns and bottlenecking is all I am saying.

On a athlon 240 x2 I need to OC to 3.4 GHz to eliminate stuttering in cod 6 at 1680x1050 res with a 6850 all max settings

Last edited:

Because it pays off more in the future. Stock Athlon II X4 to stock Phenom II X4 is a small-medium jump in performance, but an OCed Athlon II X4 to an OCed Phenom II X6/Bulldozer/Piledriver is a much better jump.

You either pay $100 for a small-medium jump in performance or $80 for a small jump and the ability to make a large jump in the future.

Because it pays off more in the future. Stock Athlon II X4 to stock Phenom II X4 is a small-medium jump in performance, but an OCed Athlon II X4 to an OCed Phenom II X6/Bulldozer/Piledriver is a much better jump.

You either pay $100 for a small-medium jump in performance or $80 for a small jump and the ability to make a large jump in the future.
I guess I could OC I've just never OCed a CPU before so I don't know if I'll damage it or what. And I thought that microATX boards won't be able to upgrade to piledriver?

@ Neuromancer I can play high settings if I lower the res to something around yours it's just not optimal.

It's pretty hard to damage a CPU while OCing. I don't think anybody knows for sure whether 8xx boards will support Piledriver.

PD will still be using AM3+, so the compatibility will come down to whether or not the motherboard manufacturer releases a BIOS to make PD work with the existing board or not.

It's pretty hard to damage a CPU while OCing. I don't think anybody knows for sure whether 8xx boards will support Piledriver.
Well I guess I might just get the board. I hope it does indeed support the next line of processors because this would be a really good buy. Besides that would OCing my athlon be a worthy upgrade?

Back