• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming PC Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Totoro

Hello!
I'm building a gaming PC and would be grateful if anyone could check my list of components and give me some feedback.

I'm not super concerned with cost (as long as the performance measure up to the price).

- List of components -

Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540
PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 850W Modular
MoBo: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VI FORMULA - ATX / Z87
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz (CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10) (2x8GB)
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO Series SSD 500GB SATA3 Basic Kit (MZ-7TE500BW)
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II H2O Poseidon Platinum

Water Cooling
Pump: EK-D5 Vario Motor
Pump top: EK-D5 X-TOP CSQ - Acetal
Radiator: EK CoolStream XTX 360
Radiator fans: Cougar Vortex V12HP PWM
Reservoir: EK-RES X3 250
CPU Block: EK-Supremacy - Full Copper

Tubing: Masterkleer 13/19 Clear
Fittings: EK-PSC Fitting 13/19 Nickel
Coolant: EK-Ekoolant Clear

---

Is it a good setup, would you change anything?
I would like to be able to add an additional GTX 780 later on.

What about the water cooling, I've checked some guides and I realize it's a bit tricky, is it worth it?
The main objective is to keep the noise levels to a minimum.
I do have som previous knowledge of building computers but never with water cooling.
It would be fun to try it out though.

Oh, and I'm also thinking about adding some LED strips, any suggestions?

Hello!
I'm building a gaming PC and would be grateful if anyone could check my list of components and give me some feedback.

I'm not super concerned with cost (as long as the performance measure up to the price).

- List of components -

Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540
PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 850W Modular
MoBo: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VI FORMULA - ATX / Z87
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz (CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10) (2x8GB)
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO Series SSD 500GB SATA3 Basic Kit (MZ-7TE500BW)
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II H2O Poseidon Platinum

What about the water cooling, I've checked some guides and I realize it's a bit tricky, is it worth it?
The main objective is to keep the noise levels to a minimum.

Your parts are good. I'd suggest going with the ASUS Z87-A. It's only about $130 and has 8 phase CPU power and all the ports and slots that you'll ever need. It'll overclock just as high on air as the Maximus.

The water cooling is going to be a waste of money for you. You'll get maybe 1 to 400 Mhz extra out of your CPU and will never see an improvement in gaming. Even stock to 4.4Ghz is not a noticeable improvement in gaming with these CPUs.

As far as wanting things quiet- just buy quiet fans and run them at 70%. Water cooling is cooled by fans. You'll have fans whether you water cool or not. The noise level will be the same. I don't know where people keep getting the idea that water cooling will somehow be quieter. It won't.

Don't waste hundreds of dollars on water cooling parts. Put that money towards a second GPU if that's what you really want.

I suggest an R9 290 or 290X over a 780. The 290 has 4GB of DDR5 whereas the 780 only has 3GB. 4GB is better.

The case you've chosen is cool but it's like a giant borg cube and really wastes space. The trend these days is towards smaller systems, MATX and ITX. Don't build a computer that belongs in a Star Trek space battle. JM2C.

What resolution are you gaming at? If it's just at 1080p, a 3gb card should be OK, I'm still doing ok with 2gb at that resolution, although 2gb is kind of pushing it these days.

Never heard of this "be quiet" brand of power supplies, but reviews are OK.

I'm with Theocnoob on the watercooling. Unless you're going for a high OC, getting a good air cooler and spending some cash on decent, quiet fans will be just as quiet if not quieter, since you won't have that added pump noise. The only way I can see a WC loop being quieter is if you get a passive radiator, otherwise you're going to need fans either way.

Thanks for the feedback!
I am currently gaming at 1080p.
I will switch to the ASUS Z87-A, consider the R9 290X and ditch the water cooling for now.

Is the Carbide 540 really that big?
Compared to other midtowers it seems similar or smaller.

I like the form factor and the possibility to add water cooling later, should i change my mind.

I am now considering one of these silent fans:
Noctua NF-F12-PWM
SilentWings2 120 mm PWM

Last edited:
Unless anything has changed recently, Noctuas are generally considered to be one of the go-to brands if you want quiet fans.

The 540 may be slightly shorter and not as deep, but it's almost twice as wide as a lot of other towers. While I don't exactly consider that "bad", it will be roomy on the inside, actual computer placement may be a problem.

Thanks for the feedback!
I am currently gaming at 1080p.
I will switch to the ASUS Z87-A, consider the R9 290X and ditch the water cooling for now.

Is the Carbide 540 really that big?
Compared to other midtowers it seems similar or smaller.

I like the form factor and the possibility to add water cooling later, should i change my mind.

I am now considering one of these silent fans:
Noctua NF-F12-PWM
SilentWings2 120 mm PWM

I would steer you towards something like this
IMG_9118.JPG

Mini ITX is the way to go these days. We're all being forced into smaller spaces by a failing economy and we need smaller computers, damnit! :bday:

Seriously though if you do stick with the ATX form factor, aim for a normal tower case that has room for some radiators. There are lots. You don't have to get a cube shaped case. This way you can leave the option of (pointless for gaming mind you) water cooling later down the road.

If you want to have a truly quiet system, get an advanced cooler graphics card. Don't get a reference card. Get something like a Twin Frozr, Tri Frozr, DirectCUII, etc.

I like ATX form factor and mid tower cases for all the extra slots and room, air cooling is cool also I agree that water is just as loud as air unless your rad has two fans.:cool::popcorn:

Last edited:
I would personally stick to your choice of grabbing a 780, just not THAT 780. Overpriced and by the time you spent money on that you could have bought a 780 Ti and sitting at the head of the pack as far as gpus go....

Overall your build looks solid aside from your coolant choice, stick with distilled water + kill coil/PT Nuke(or IandH Deadwater).

If you're only gaming at 1080P, and intend to stay that way, I still say go mini-ITX. It only leaves room for one card but a 290X is good up to 1440P afaik. You'd have to go 4K to truly need 2 top tier cards IMO.

Wow!
Thanks for all the replies.

I am leaning towards a silent air cooled MSI GTX780 Twin Frozr.
It seems both silent and powerful.

I would like to be able to fit a silent Noctua NH-D14 on the CPU as well.
I know it's big, but keeping down noise is my highest priority.

I would like to be able to fit a second GTX780 later, would that be possible with a micro ATX?

would that be possible with a micro ATX?
Sure. You would have to choose a mATX board that has 2 PCIe slots is all. That said, for 1080p, don't go SLI. The 780 will last a couple years, then upgrade to a more power single card.

Thank you all for the input!
I will consider all great advice before making up my mind.

Back