• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gateway FX Laptop Screen Replacement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lmathies

Gateway FX Laptop Screen Replacement

I have a Gateway FX P-7805u ( with the 1400 X 1200 resolution screen ) that has some issues with the case being cracked and the fans are going out. I recently bought another FX P-7805u (with the 1400 x 900 resolution screen).

They both have the same identical video card installed.

Is it possible to swap the higher resolution screen onto the other laptop? If so, what all would need to be swapped? CPU, etc…

If they have the same on board video chip then I would think all you need to do is swap screens. When you say "they both have the same identical video card installed" to me that is all you need to know. The only other thing I would be concerned about is making sure the connectors are the same between the display and the motherboard.

It's probably less work to just swap the notebook top. It is already a lot of work to disassemble the lower half to get to the video connector, and it's a lot of extra work to remove the monitor from the top.

Save the hinges from the retired notebook!

The video card wouldn't be really relevant here...it will work with any screen...MIRITE?

The thing to look for is if the monitor has the same connections as the other... which, likely only the company will be able to answer.

I have the backup laptop for quite a while. Even though they are old, they still outperform a lot of newer ones. If I swap out the screens, do you know if the new screen's higher resolution will be recognized or am I stuck with the lower resolution? The video cards are identical in both laptops but the one I want to replace the screen on presently only gives a 1400 x 900 option where as the one I want to use is a 1400 x 1200 model. Gateway apparently swapped over to the lower resolution screen to lower costs. Does the CPU have anything to do with the resolution capabilities?

I don't see any problems, I mean even with stock screen you can change its resolution to something lower, but it will obviously not look as good as native resolution. As long as the screen supports something higher, video card can make it happen. I have 1366x768 on mine and when I hope up external monitor, I can easily crank to 1920x1080 and anything in between

Resolution is typically graphics card not xpu

Yes, the higher resolution will be set when the monitor is seen by Windows chooses the native resolution.

I've done it with an old Dell D830 and it worked out fine with Win7 and Win10.

Back