• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GeForce 6200 256MB AGP review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theMonster

Disabled
I just received and popped in this new card to replace my deceased GeForce 5600 card and have decided to post an in depth review here because while I was card shopping I could find little info on this series of GeForce card.

The first thing I noticed was that this card was a quite a bit larger than my 5600. I opted for the AOpen brand as the only other one available was a ChainTech and it was hampered with a 64-bit memory bus opposed to the Aopen's 128-bit.

Right off the bat I found something weird, I downloaded the newest drivers from the Nvidia website and for some reason or other they did not recognize the 6200, so I used the disc that came with the card and it turns out that the drivers on the CD were newer than the ones on the Nvidia website. The ones on the disc are 71.40!

Now for the benchmarking:

3DMark2001SE STOCK: 11798
Uh, oh this is about the same as my now dead, but massively overclocked 5600, let's hope this gets better.

3DMark2003 STOCK:3428
Don't recall my 5600 numbers to compare against.

3DMark2005 STOCK:1429

AquaqMark3@1024x768:23551
The 5600 only scored aound 18800

Now, let's try to unlock those pipes!
I have not been able to unlock the 4 additional pipes yet, so we'll work on that later and go for the OCnow. Stock speeds are 300/500
It looks like I need a flash from a Galaxy 256MB 6600 AGP for this to work I can't read Chinese/Cantonese and babel-fish doesn't work on this site, so anybody who can get me the bios file, I'd REALLY appreciate it.
http://www.szgalaxy.com/

note: I found out that version 7x.xx drivers are meant to be for the Quadro cards, even though they work with the others, on the 6 series they perform poorly and have the MPEG2 enhancements turned off. It was TRICKY but you have to manually install drivers when using a 6x.xx series driver for the 6200 card. DO NOT let windows autosearch for it or let Nvidia installer try to install it, because it WILL NOT work. I'm now using 67.66, lets see how much improvement we get!

Current OC 425/590 100% stable, no artifacts
71.40 drivers

3DMark2001 SE:13249

3DMark2003:4671

3DMark2005:Won't run to completion, will reinstall

AquaMark:33482

67.66 Drivers
Strange, got +200 in 3DMark scores but only 24988 in AquaMark that almost -10k!!! something must've gone wrong. Will test again.

DOOM3: Not too shabby, got between 30+ and 60+ FPS with it being most consistantly in the 40s at 1024x768 High Detail Settings.

Half-Life 2: Impressive!! Runs 60+ to 100+ fps on high detail!! I wasn't expecting this, averaged for the most part in the high 60s-low70s

Runs ALL the Nvidia demos perfectly, yes even the ones made for the 5900ultra and 6800!! Nalu looks great, especially in the nude ;)

I'm curious to compare this to other cards and see why the pipes aren't unlocking and the mem is going higer. I think once the pipes are unlocked this card will become a beast.

to be continued:

Last edited:
Don't use 3dmark01 as a benchmark. Use 3dmark03 because it uses dx9 unlike 01' that uses dx8. Plus i believe that 01's is more of an overall system benchmark, not mostly graphics card like 03'.

stang8118 said:
Don't use 3dmark01 as a benchmark. Use 3dmark03 because it uses dx9 unlike 01' that uses dx8. Plus i believe that 01's is more of an overall system benchmark, not mostly graphics card like 03'.

Couldnt agree more use 03 less system but more graphics used and overlcock that card! :attn:

AND..... you cant leave us hanging like this the supence is killing me !!! ohh the pain i gotta konw! lol no really how did everything work out.?

they're in the first post! I know it's long but it's a good read ;) FYI I'm having trouble unlocking the 4 extra pipes :cry:

theMonster said:
they're in the first post! I know it's long but it's a good read ;) FYI I'm having trouble unlocking the 4 extra pipes :cry:

looking good so far! dont try to force the pipes open, if you cant unlock them you just cant

there MUST be a way :bang head
This card is SUPPOSED to be faster than a FX5900 but I'm coming up a bit short.

It'll be nice to see how NALU and Dusk run though. I'm going to DL the Doom3 and HL2 demos this afternoon and post performance of those as well.

I think we REALLY need to put together reviews like this for all of our cards and then combine them into a sticky thread or a separate category so that people like us can get a good idea of what they're getting before they get it without having to rely on possibly biased website reviews.

Last edited:
theMonster said:
there MUST be a way :bang head
This card is SUPPOSED to be faster than a FX5900 but I'm coming up a bit short.

It'll be nice to see how NALU and Dusk run though. I'm going to DL the Doom3 and HL2 demos this afternoon and post performance of those as well.

I think we REALLY need to put together reviews like this for all of our cards and then combine them into a sticky thread or a separate category so that people like us can get a good idea of what they're getting before they get it without having to rely on possibly biased website reviews.

A great idea As i dont use review sites as sometimes they can be fixed i normally use word of mouth, and look at review sites to just comfirm what people are saying! :attn:

bump because as soon as I re-run AquaMark to see why the huge difference after driver change, then test the Mpeg2 hardware and HD features then I'll be done, unless there is anything you guys can point out that I've left out. I actually like the card so far. from what I've seen the benchmarks lie and under rate this card's true performance. Wonder why? Bed time, I'll ponder it and finish up tomorrow afternoon,

Back