• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GeForce 7 7900 on March 9/06 (90nm G71)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Am I missing something about the eVGA step-up program, because it really doesn't seem like a good deal to me? I paid ~$275 for my 7800GT in December, and right now this same card is selling on eVGA.com for $400! The price for the 7900GT isn't listed, but it's obviously going to be more than $400, meaning that I'll have to pay ~$150 (after shipping charges) to "step up" to a card that has the same value as my current card. It seems like a better deal to me to just buy the card from Newegg for $300 and hold on to my 7800GT. Is there something I'm missing here?

KillrBuckeye said:
Am I missing something about the eVGA step-up program, because it really doesn't seem like a good deal to me? I paid ~$275 for my 7800GT in December, and right now this same card is selling on eVGA.com for $400! The price for the 7900GT isn't listed, but it's obviously going to be more than $400, meaning that I'll have to pay ~$150 (after shipping charges) to "step up" to a card that has the same value as my current card. It seems like a better deal to me to just buy the card from Newegg for $300 and hold on to my 7800GT. Is there something I'm missing here?

hmmmm I thought some of the guys here get price of $300 from EVGA in the step-up program. How did you get quote for $400? Can someone verify this?

KillrBuckeye said:

Early yesterday morning, on the EVGA website, the slowest, plain jane 7900GT was listed at $299 retail, and the plain 7900GTX was listed as $499. All the other 7900 series cards were "CALL". But mid-morning yesterday, those 2 prices got changed to "CALL" like the others.

I don't look for the retail price of the 7900GT to be much, if any more than the $299 that was already suggested. Also there have been numerous retail price lists that have been going around, and all list the 7900GT at $299.

Marlon

yeah I'm gonna have to agree....all the reviews that *I've* been reading show the 7900 GTX ahead (not by alot...but ahead just the same) and at a lower price it seems like a no brainer. But if you prefer to pay more for less then I have an ATI Rage 128 16MB card I'll sell to you for less than $499

Honestly, it depends on the resolution of the user. I personally use 1900x1200 for EVERYTHING, and nothing else. Whichever does better at that res is the better card in MY EYES...

It depends on the user, but as I've already stated... the 79GTX is out to compete with the X1900XT(X)... it's not here to beat it cuz nVidia obviously wasn't ready to beat it. They needed this card out to ensure that they are still in the market, and I will say it again... the 7900GT is such a great deal.

Also, as for legit reviews... isn't it a bit unfair to use the XFX 7900GTX XXX model against a stock clocked X1900XTX? ATI should definitely get some OCing brands in there as well!!!

snakeskinner said:
Early yesterday morning, on the EVGA website, the slowest, plain jane 7900GT was listed at $299 retail, and the plain 7900GTX was listed as $499. All the other 7900 series cards were "CALL". But mid-morning yesterday, those 2 prices got changed to "CALL" like the others.

I don't look for the retail price of the 7900GT to be much, if any more than the $299 that was already suggested. Also there have been numerous retail price lists that have been going around, and all list the 7900GT at $299.
If, by "retail", you mean the price listed on the eVGA website in the products section or in the window where you choose the replacement card for the step-up program, then it appears that eVGA has jacked up the prices on everything. The plain-jane 7800GT is now $400, and even a plain 7800GS is $350. :rolleyes: Take a look at the image I attached for available pricing. Is it just me, or does it appear that eVGA is trying to cover their *** by making the step-up program much less appealing? If this is the case, it's complete BS. I think a flurry of nasty emails may be in store.

KillrBuckeye said:
If, by "retail", you mean the price listed on the eVGA website in the products section or in the window where you choose the replacement card for the step-up program, then it appears that eVGA has jacked up the prices on everything. The plain-jane 7800GT is now $400, and even a plain 7800GS is $350. :rolleyes: Take a look at the image I attached for available pricing. Is it just me, or does it appear that eVGA is trying to cover their *** by making the step-up program much less appealing? If this is the case, it's complete BS. I think a flurry of nasty emails may be in store.

The 7800 series cards have always had a retail price that high as far as I know. The whole idea behind the 7900 series cards was the 90nm core, which cost less to make. These cards will have a lower retail price than the 7800 series cards. Don't look for the retail prices of the 7800 cards to go below the 7900 cards, because it costs more to make a 7800 card.

The $299 and $499 prices I quoted were on the 7900GT and the 7900GTX. Those 2 prices EVGA had listed on thier website as retail prices for those 2 cards yesterday morning, before someone took them off and changed the price to "CALL"

Just because the cards just came out, doesn't automaticaly require them to have a higher retail price than the old cards.

Marlon

Well even though I agree that it's BS to mark these things so high....what other company will buy back their card for the original purchase price and credit that toward a new card? Even though it's possible they are inflating prices substatially...you are probably still getting a better deal than selling your card for cash and purchasing new from (e)retail

I just decided to go for it and entered my Stepup for the Vanilla 7900 GTX EGS (2 Actually) From looking at the prices sites have the Superclock listed...I figured that eVGA.com would have an outrageous price also.
Just by looking at the cards they look to have identical coolers on them...so it seems that the extra money is only paid for the BIOS settings and the guaranteed 40Mhz OC
As soon as full card coolers come out for them I will probably get a pair of those anyway...so I'm sure I'll go past 690.

I tried calling today (as someone at eVGA told me to do yesterday) to get the MSRP's of the new cards and they told me to call Monday. Guess they are waiting to see how high etailers will jack up the prices before they list it?

But I decided to go for it and Stepped Up ....I'm #85 and #86 in Queue :)

snakeskinner said:
The 7800 series cards have always had a retail price that high as far as I know. The whole idea behind the 7900 series cards was the 90nm core, which cost less to make. These cards will have a lower retail price than the 7800 series cards. Don't look for the retail prices of the 7800 cards to go below the 7900 cards, because it costs more to make a 7800 card.

The $299 and $499 prices I quoted were on the 7900GT and the 7900GTX. Those 2 prices EVGA had listed on thier website as retail prices for those 2 cards yesterday morning, before someone took them off and changed the price to "CALL"

Just because the cards just came out, doesn't automaticaly require them to have a higher retail price than the old cards.

Marlon

yeah...I'm hoping that when the availability gets back up there and I get a notification email about being in stock...hopefully the Superclock will be 559 or lower (the price I paid for the 7800GTX KO's) and I'll change it to that (I think you can do that can't you?)

But yeah...I think this is the whole thing that NVidia was going for...since they aren't ready to make a card that crushes ATIs x1900 they made one that squeeks by it but costs significantly less. unfortunately retailers are being WAAAY shady and marking them up to the same prices or even higher than the ATI card. Ridiculous. if i was NVidia I would throw a fit or something because I think it's possible that these inflated prices will make some people jump to ATI.

Time will tell I guess

Last edited:
snakeskinner said:

Okay, I get what you're saying. However, I still don't see why eVGA is asking $400 for a plain 7800GT when you can get them from Newegg for $270. The 7900GT is available from Newegg for $300, so I guess I just figured that eVGA would list this at a significantly higher price. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

If I register for the step-up program and get on the waiting list for a 7900GT, can I cancel at any time if I don't like the price they are offering? I only have a week of eligibility left, so I don't want to miss out if this indeed turns out to be a good deal.

KillrBuckeye said:
Okay, I get what you're saying. However, I still don't see why eVGA is asking $400 for a plain 7800GT when you can get them from Newegg for $270. The 7900GT is available from Newegg for $300, so I guess I just figured that eVGA would list this at a significantly higher price. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

If I register for the step-up program and get on the waiting list for a 7900GT, can I cancel at any time if I don't like the price they are offering? I only have a week of eligibility left, so I don't want to miss out if this indeed turns out to be a good deal.

Sure. Just don't send your video card in to eVGA. That's what it says on their webpage.

Yeah, you can go ahead and register for the step up program, and then when the cards become available and they send you and email with the final price, you can take it or leave it. But if your 90 days are up at that time, you won't be elgible for another one.

I'm 19 on the list for a 7900GT, but if they come out with some outragous price for these things when my time comes up, i'll tell them where they can put that card and go buy one from Newegg, lol. Especially after they already had $299 listed, and then took it off.

Marlon

I registered last night for the 7900 GTX; I was #71 in line and my step up window expires in a few days so I either take this step up or nothing. I am beginning to grow concerned about their prices; the MSRP is already known so why would they not even list the stock clocked cards which should go for the manufacturer specified MSRP? I called today and they would not give the prices on the cards verbally anymore; the rep stated that they would be posted today but my money is on this not happening. I am hoping that they have dropped the prices from listing so that people become worried as I am, and do not do the step up before their windows expires and not that they are actually considering raising prices. It seems like they will be taking a good loss with this step up program if they actually honor it. For example, they will have to buy back my 7800 gt for $319 and sell me a 7900 gtx for $499...then what do they do with the 7800 gt? They can't make much money off of it regardless. My other concern is that they intentionally make people wait for the step up to the point that they just buy a retail card elsewhere rather than waiting out the step up program. This works well for me, as I am primarily upgrading for Oblivion, and I don't mind utilizing my 7800 gt in the mean time. So if it turns out that Oblivion plays well with ATI and not 7900 series for some odd reason, I'll have bought myself more time to make a purchasing decision.

Anyone else have thoughts on this? I bet they string us out until near the end of March so they can get through not having to honor a step up on all the cards purchased during Christmas season.

g0dM@n said:
Honestly, it depends on the resolution of the user. I personally use 1900x1200 for EVERYTHING, and nothing else.

Interesting... My 19" CRT can only do 1600 x 1200, so 19 x 12 is out of my reach...

The average gamer probably stays within 1024x768 to 1280x1024.

And most video cards can sustain the necessary output of 40FPS or better at these resolutions...

less than 1% users use 1900x1200..

Joeteck said:
Interesting... My 19" CRT can only do 1600 x 1200, so 19 x 12 is out of my reach...

The average gamer probably stays within 1024x768 to 1280x1024.

And most video cards can sustain the necessary output of 40FPS or better at these resolutions...

less than 1% users use 1900x1200..
LOL... I didn't know what I was getting to when I got this 24" Dell; although, I'm in LOVE with it... even though I've had it a few months already I still daydream about it at work. I'm on a 17" CRT at work... so rough on my eyes.

jpersinger said:
I registered last night for the 7900 GTX; I was #71 in line and my step up window expires in a few days so I either take this step up or nothing. I am beginning to grow concerned about their prices; the MSRP is already known so why would they not even list the stock clocked cards which should go for the manufacturer specified MSRP? I called today and they would not give the prices on the cards verbally anymore; the rep stated that they would be posted today but my money is on this not happening. I am hoping that they have dropped the prices from listing so that people become worried as I am, and do not do the step up before their windows expires and not that they are actually considering raising prices. It seems like they will be taking a good loss with this step up program if they actually honor it. For example, they will have to buy back my 7800 gt for $319 and sell me a 7900 gtx for $499...then what do they do with the 7800 gt? They can't make much money off of it regardless. My other concern is that they intentionally make people wait for the step up to the point that they just buy a retail card elsewhere rather than waiting out the step up program. This works well for me, as I am primarily upgrading for Oblivion, and I don't mind utilizing my 7800 gt in the mean time. So if it turns out that Oblivion plays well with ATI and not 7900 series for some odd reason, I'll have bought myself more time to make a purchasing decision.

Anyone else have thoughts on this? I bet they string us out until near the end of March so they can get through not having to honor a step up on all the cards purchased during Christmas season.

No I don't think that's the case at all...it's just that we are all jumping on these cards, when they only came out yesterday. Many of the retailers are backordered on several cards also (many are eVGA, that I've seen) so I'd say that it's not a stepup issue...jsut an availability issue.
g0dM@n said:
LOL... I didn't know what I was getting to when I got this 24" Dell; although, I'm in LOVE with it... even though I've had it a few months already I still daydream about it at work. I'm on a 17" CRT at work... so rough on my eyes.
yep I feel the same way about mine :) with my SLI 7800 GTX KO's I can play 1920x1200 on pretty much any game that will....several games that I play will only do 4:3 resolutions...so i play at 16x12 with little black bars on either side. Doesn't bother me like I thought it might.
I know that many games are able to do 16:10 with mods or cmd lines....but I'm satisfied with what I've got.

Heck I can play FEAR at 16x12 with all settings maxed and average 70FPS with the MINIMUM being 40 something .... so I think that I probably COULD play FEAR at 1920x1200 with decent frame rates...but I just don't feel like screwing with it. :) ...plus i like the minimum of ~40...I never see any kind of lagging or anything which makes me happy..and my friends jealous :)

I hope that with the 7900 GTX's that I just put on "stepup" from eVGA that it will only get more buttery :cool:

1920 x 1200 all the way, baby! :D I use it every day. I cranked up the settings on my 2 x 7800GTs the other day in COD2 (admittedly I'm only using 1GB of ram and haven't OC'd anything on this new rig yet), and that suckered crawled. Zooming to snipe was like 5 FPS at times. lol. Even City of Heroes was down in the low teens at times with all the settings cranked, and MMO's typically aren't as rough on frame rates as FPS games. 20+ FPS usually looks pretty smooth for CoH.

So I guess I'm just gonna have to cough up some more dough and get 2 x 7900GTX's, because I want those pretty little effects maxed out as best I can.

I don't know what I'll ever do if I buy the 30" LCD. Sell my house so I afford video cards, probably. Hehe.

Back