• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Geforce6800GT died while turned off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brint

Classic Senior Dude
What happened?
I used the computer at night, turned it off, when to bed, 12hours later the video card is just dead. When I power the system up, the monitor just stays black, the keyboard is dead, and the system halts. I tried to disconnect the extra power supply to the card then it started whining at me. I ripped every PCI card out, nothing, reset the bios, nothing, nothing, nothing. Replaced it with the old 9500pro, then everything booted up just fine. How can this be? Ghosts?

It beeped when you unplugged the extra power connector, so it may not be totally dead (it was the card beeping or the mobo?). Did you try both video ouputs? Maybe one of the DAC's died. Did you try it again after the 9500? Maybe it needed a good reseating. Other than that... not sure, maybe the PSU isn't providing enough juice due to a problem?

-Rav

got a multimeter? test the molex you're using if the GT has one (cant remember) also check the voltage using the test points on the card (check a volt mod guide to see where the spots are.

No extra PSU. Just one. It's an Antek True power 550watt. I tried with everything unplugged, harddrives, dvd ect and still nothing. So I don't think it is the power supply.

On the beeping. I don't know if it was the mobo or the video card that beeped. But it was laud!

The GT only has one power molex.
I will try the multimeter / voltmod guide tomorrow, but only if it still doesn't respond. I will also try the second video output theory.

But I find it strange that the keyboard didn't respond as well....why?

I know it sounds weird but the video card just MIGHT be grounding out on the case with your setup. It rarely happens but I have a had a few video cards ground out on the case due to their design and my particular setup. If I took everyhting out of the case and layed my components on the floor the card worked great but inside the case it wouldnt. Then the same cards grounding out in my case would work great in my friends cases. It sounds rather generic and such, I know, but it's a rare possibility that it does happen.

My leadtek 68gt would let out a nice shriek if I forgot to or didn't have the molex plugged in properly. So I would guess it was the card letting you know that it needed some more juice!

mepis said:
I know it sounds weird but the video card just MIGHT be grounding out on the case with your setup. It rarely happens but I have a had a few video cards ground out on the case due to their design and my particular setup. If I took everyhting out of the case and layed my components on the floor the card worked great but inside the case it wouldnt. Then the same cards grounding out in my case would work great in my friends cases. It sounds rather generic and such, I know, but it's a rare possibility that it does happen.

Well, the video card has the same ground as everything else in the case, of if it was touching anything then the electric potential would be the same, right? :shrug:

I have tried to use the DVI output today, again nothing happened. I even riped everything out again just to see if the DVI output would be effected by it. Nothing. starting to get a little worried here. :bang head

For giggles, try a different power supply. I've always had bad luck with 550 Antecs. On the topic of shorts, make sure no parts of the heatsink or the X bracket on the back is touching anything it shouldn't be. Does your motherboard have a molex plug on it for extra AGP slot power? If so make sure its plugged in tight and not on the same channel as the plug you use for the card.

Also, I just noticed your system is watercooled. Make sure nothing leaked onto the card in any way, or into the AGP slot!

Other than that :shrug:

-Rav

No water has leaked. The system is tight.
And yes the card is still under warrenty. Which is a good thing.
I don't think it is the power supply, like I have said, I unplugged everything, but the card. And still nothing. But the system runs fine with my old 9500pro. No problems at all.

Back