• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gentoo for Fileserver

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You guys were correct, there were some errors in my fstab file. I tried booting without the livecd again, and it looks like it worked? Got me to a login prompt for the machine at least? There was 1 red ! mark, it said my eth0 didn't exist, I'm assuming I just don't have DHCP setup correctly or something because my NIC did work during the installation to download the files.

After logging in I'm at a bash prompt it appears, is this correct? How can I check if KDE installed correctly?

for the eth0 issue, it could just be that you have two onboard NICs and are actually using eth1 instead. That's how it is on my board, I currently use eth1 and had to copy eth0 over to eth1 and replace the init.d script with eth1 instead. It should mention how to do it in the install guide.

For starting kde or any other graphical crap at boot, try checking your /etc/rc.conf file.

KDE is not installed by default in a gentoo system, you will have to emerge it. I recommend emergeing just the kdebase package as it takes WAY less time to build and then you can add other KDE packages as you see fit in the future.

eth0 issue: i had this problem before as well. you could check the module that supports your network card and make sure it is configured in the kernel either as a built-in option or a module.

if you decide to compile it as a module, don't forget to
Code:
# modprobe [i]modulename[/i]
# rc-update add [i]modulename[/i] default
if you wish to have network at every reboot.

kaltag said:
KDE is not installed by default in a gentoo system, you will have to emerge it. I recommend emergeing just the kdebase package as it takes WAY less time to build and then you can add other KDE packages as you see fit in the future.

Because of the new split ebuilds for KDE on Gentoo, using kdebase is deprecated, and won't be supported at all in KDE 4. A better method to get all the individual packages in kdebase is to use the new meta packages, for example kdebase-meta. This will install all the components of kdebase as seperate ebuilds.

Back