• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Get rid of password? Win 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

devlos

Hello all! I have a cousin who set up her account as an administrator and her daughter a non admin account. She then forgot her password. It hasn't been a problem because the computer is exclusively used by her daughter, but now she needs to access the admin account to do some thing and can't ( I don't know how long this has been going on).

Net user admin /random
doesn't work from daughters account and I can't find the bootable media that I used to use to erase the SAM files.
What can I do to help her?

She knows I love computer related things but she didn't know don't like it if I can't figure out how to solve the problem.

Even a link to the bootable media I used to use would probably help, I can't remember the name though. Windows 7 64-bit.

Hello all! I have a cousin who set up her account as an administrator and her daughter a non admin account. She then forgot her password. It hasn't been a problem because the computer is exclusively used by her daughter, but now she needs to access the admin account to do some thing and can't ( I don't know how long this has been going on).

Net user admin /random
doesn't work from daughters account and I can't find the bootable media that I used to use to erase the SAM files.
What can I do to help her?

She knows I love computer related things but she didn't know don't like it if I can't figure out how to solve the problem.

Even a link to the bootable media I used to use would probably help, I can't remember the name though. Windows 7 64-bit.

Do this:

1. Boot from install dvd, goto Repair Your Computer.
2. Click on Command Prompt.
3. At the X:Sources> type "MOVE c:\Windows\System32\Utilman.exe C:\Windows\System32\Utilman.exe.bak"
4. Copy C:\Windows\System32\Cmd.exe c:\Windows\System32\Utilman.exe
5. Reboot or type Exit.
6. After the PC boots, click on the Ease of access icon in the lower left of the screen.
7. Type in "net user administrator *".
8. Enter new password, then confirm password.
9. Repeat setp 1 and 2
10. Now type del c:\Windows\System32\Utilman.exe
11. Move C:\Windows\System32\Utilman.exe.bak C:\Windows\System32\Utilman.exe

Edit: This works on Win 7, Win 8, Win 2008, Win 2012 and Win 10

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys, my cousin is ecstatic. She said it's been over a year since had access. :beer:

Back