• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GET RID OF WIN10 INSTALLED APPS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
found this on the interwebs and it seems to get rid of some of the apps microcrap has forced upon us.

To completely uninstall Groove, you can use PowerShell to remove the default app package. I did this today, as Groove was crashing on launch, and I wanted to reinstall.

1.Open Windows Powershell as an Admin
2.Run Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers
3.Look for the package named Microsoft.ZuneMusic...
4.Copy the PackageFullName (mine looked something like: Microsoft.ZuneMusic_3.6.12101.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe)
5.Run Remove-AppxPackage [insert PackageFullName] (e.g. Remove-AppxPackage Microsoft.ZuneMusic_3.6.12101.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe)

That removed Groove from my system. You can follow a similar process for most default apps in Windows 10.

Another cool thing I used to do with 7/8.1 was go into windows/system32 and copy cmd.exe and paste into documents. Then rename Utilman.exe to like Utilman2 or whatever. Go to documents and rename cmd.exe to Utilman.exe and paste into system32. That way anytime you hit the windows key and U it would bring up the admin command line instead of Utilman. And since it's the only app you can bring up from the login screen you were able to access the comand line from the login screen. So if you forgot your password or anything you could change it on the fly before even logging in!

anybody know the effects of using this to remove the apps in c/windows/systemapps?

You won't have any effects. It just gets rid of crap you may never use. Some of us use 3rd party software for literally everything we do. But keep in mind if you have Microsoft Games like Gears of War 4 you will not be able to open and play it if you delete the Xbox app.

9.9 times out of 10, I am a fan of manually doing things without using apps.

In all the years of my using Windows there was only one exception. Various factors negatively influence successful app removal depending on Windows version so if there is one time to use a third party app - it would be to remove Windows apps. I recommend:
https://winxappremover.codeplex.com/

It gets rid of any app on any version of Windows any time. Highly recommended.

Back