• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting a new laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dapman02

I'm looking at getting a new laptop after selling my wind. I currently do have my 17" monster, but it runs crazy hot (has the worst cooling system to boot, cooling a 7600 Go AND 2.1Ghz processor on one heatpipe :bang head), is loud, and is too big. My price range is around 500-700 dollars, but I would like to keep it arond 500-600 and 700 if it has discreet graphics. It needs to have good battary life (3 hours+).

Above all, it needs to look good and stick out

Here's what I'm looking at
Toshiba Satellite
Gateway

Thats about it right now.
Like I said, I would like something that sticks out. Some of the cyberpower's and ibuypower laptops are what I'm looking at, but are out of my price range

This might be slightly more expensive, but check out the ThinkPad series by Lenovo.

I haven't heard anything negative about them, they are even a member here. Someone else might have experience with them though.

I haven't heard anything negative about them, they are even a member here. Someone else might have experience with them though.

Well my big concern is the battery life issue. Before I started shopping, I told myself that I was never going to get discreet graphics due to the heat and power consumption it has.

IMHO the most "stylish" laptops are made by Sony and HP. I haven't seen too many HP or Sony laptops that I would consider ugly, especially recently. I've also been interested in Asus models lately. They seem to be pretty snazzy looking.

Usually I haven't been very fond of Dell or Gateway, but I currently own a Dell that I'm very pleased with. Gateway's latest models have looked very nice as well. Toshiba laptops have always seemed to thick and chunky to me.

Samsund and LG have some beautiful laptops here in Korea, but unfortunately Samsung is new to the states and LG isn't even available yet.

I haven't really seen any official reviews about Ibuy Power. It's a smaller company so the customer service and warranties should be a little nicer than those of Dell, HP, or the other big names. I would only be concerned with the build quality and the display quality of the Ibuy Power models. I haven't seen or heard anything bad though.

Well my big concern is the battery life issue. Before I started shopping, I told myself that I was never going to get discreet graphics due to the heat and power consumption it has.

Discrete graphics are a mixed bag. I love the fact that I can play a game when I want, but it sucks holding a hot skillet on my lap all the time when I'm not at the desk. If battery life is a concern for you, I would avoid best buy. I think they usually give you the cheap batteries with those shelved computers. You'd probably have to configure one online to get a nice sized battery.

Last edited:
I just got a inspiron 1545 with a T6400 320gig hdd and what not and i like it. Very nice and a very clean looking laptop. Also runs very cool i have yet to see the temps go over 55c

Back