• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting lag and i dont know why

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dabba

This is reposted from my guild and game forums for star wars galaxies. I had a thread on here a week or two again asking about possible heat damage, this tells the story and the recent things i did to try to correct it with no success. I am now clueless and need help if any will be willing. Any questions please ask im willing to answer and try anything at this point. Thank you.

The problems all started after i crashed due to heat issues. Software became corupted and such and i needed to ghost restore my harddrive. I reinstall galaxies and i suddenly have this immense lag. So after ghosting again, i still have it. So after determining its not still overheating i guess its heat damage to the processsor and i buy a new one. This one is slower than my last processor, i thought i could OC it but i couldnt. So i instal it and jump back in the game and i still have lag. Now im even more upset because i cant tell if its the slower processor now or something else. Heres the system specs.

Originally xp3200+ (looks like some heat damge, got white markings near where the paste goes)
nvidia 6800 agp
1.5gigs of ddr400 ram.

The new processor is an xp2400+. I cant get it up to 200mhz with my ram speed so right now i believe its sitting at 133. My last cpu sat at 200 no problem. But when i checked the games min system rrequirment, i see that even a stock 2400 is alot more than reccomended. So can it still be the processor? I did a stress test on the ram so i dont believe its that. Now im left with the videocard but how can i test that? I just dont want to blow more money for nothing. Otherwise id buy another 3200+. Thanks again guys im getting desperate.

I used memtest to stress test my ram. I also cant OC the 2400 like the seller advertised because apparently i only have a few choices of ratios in my bios and my max speed only goes to 165mhz, despite the fact the 3200+ sat at 200mhz. The cpu was sold as "unlocked" so i have no idea why i cant set it higher. I tried setting it at 165mhz with the ram at a 1:1 but it would reset to 133 anyway. Point being i cant even oc it up to my ram speed. And i know xp chips like being the same speed as ram. (saw it awhile ago, didnt ask) Maybe its my mobo too i dont know. What i do know is that the reccomended cpu for the game is like a xp1600, so why the hell am i still getting lag even with the 2400 on the lowest settings? Im clueless guys, any help would be great.

if it is a game, it most likely did not fry the CPU but perhaps the GPU.... have you tried perhaps reinstalling the graphic card drivers? I have had instances when my computer has crashed and corrupted the drivers (lets hope it is this).

if it is a game, it most likely did not fry the CPU but perhaps the GPU.... have you tried perhaps reinstalling the graphic card drivers? I have had instances when my computer has crashed and corrupted the drivers (lets hope it is this).

Well the restore should have count? IF it dosnt, i guess ill try that first. Any stress testers for the gpu?

i forgot to mention that when i say ovrheated it was only the processor. After i examined it it turned out the thermal paste burned off. So i dont think i fried anything else did i?

usually normal paste doesnt "burn" off.

Yeah i have no idea what happend. Ive had this thing built for years and then one day bam heat crashes left and right, paste was gone, really odd.

just to point out it was my old processor that was burning up, not my whole system. Also i stress tested my ram with no problems. Switched out for the 2400 which is well above reccomended. And now i just updated my nvidia drivers, but i really dont think its the video card as my computer is just generally slower, not just the game. Im really lost now. Mobo shot?

just did a defrag for the hell of it, no effect. Im thinking the mobo is shot or the video card. Kinda odd though being it was the cpu that burned up. Could that have affected the mobo?

Back