• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting new fans, how is this setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mastrauckas

Registered
For starts my setup:
Intel i7 3770k(Ivy Bridge)
ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
16 GIG of memory
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
750w Antec PSU
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 660 OC Version
NZXT Phantom 410 Mid Tower
Crucial 256 GB m4 SSD
Seagate Barracuda 7200 1 TB 7200RPM

My tower comes with a front 120mm fan, rear 12mm fan and top 140mm fan. I want to make my system a bit more quite and cool it down a bit.

Right now, not overclocking I'm getting high temp on Core 1 at 71c and all the cores are staying around mid to high 60c. I think this is decent tempature, but not great. I wouldn't mind bringing this down before I start overclocking.

For now, I'm keeping my Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo but switching case fans for other fans and here is the setup I'm thinking about doing in the next month:

1 120mm SP120 front. (Quiet Static Pressure Edition)
1 120mm AF120 rear. (Quiet High Air Flow Edition)
2 140mm AF140 top. (Quiet High Air Flow Edition)
1 120mm SP120 in front of HDD's rack. (Quiet Static Pressure Edition)

The thought is the front and rear will be intake fans and the two top fans as exhaust. I think this will create good airflow but I'm not sure so I thought I'd get some advise? Also, will this create allot more dust in my system?

Thanks,
Michael

My advice would be to get some reasonably high RPM fans. Sure, they're noisy, but that's what a fan controller is for. You can make fast fans spin at a low RPM, but you can't make a slow fan fast.

Ideally you want slight positive pressure in the case, so that way you can filter you intake air rather than having a vacuum inside the case and sucking in unfiltered air through every orifice.

I also wouldn't buy any expensive fans. Don't buy the cheapest, but there's no real need to pay a lot of money for high end fans when a fan for half the price is going to be 90% as good.

My advice would be to get some reasonably high RPM fans. Sure, they're noisy, but that's what a fan controller is for. You can make fast fans spin at a low RPM, but you can't make a slow fan fast.
Makes sense.

Ideally you want slight positive pressure in the case, so that way you can filter you intake air rather than having a vacuum inside the case and sucking in unfiltered air through every orifice.
What setup would you recommend?

Changing the two 2 top fans from 140mm to 120mm or just 1 120mm at top? Or something completely different?
Or would you have 1 120mm fan to a exhaust fan?

I also wouldn't buy any expensive fans. Don't buy the cheapest, but there's no real need to pay a lot of money for high end fans when a fan for half the price is going to be 90% as good.
Which fans would you recommend?

I wrote a lot about Fan recommendation.

long story short, there's a lot to consider!
if you want to read it, I have that post in my sig. :)

those recommendations are updated, see if they help!

Makes sense.

What setup would you recommend?

Changing the two 2 top fans from 140mm to 120mm or just 1 120mm at top? Or something completely different?
Or would you have 1 120mm fan to a exhaust fan?

Which fans would you recommend?

Is your PSU bottom or top mounted? If it's top mounted, it will be sucking in air from the case to act like another exhaust fan. What video card do you have, does that also suck air from the case and dump it out the back?

Personally for that setup I'd go for 2X 120/140mm intake fans and 1 top exhaust fan if you have a PSU and video card that sucks heat out of the case, otherwise 2 exhaust fans. Make sure you buy a fan controller. More airflow = more dust, so keep that in mind. Don't turn your computer into a wind tunnel unless you really need a lot of airflow.

Buy any reputable brand of fan, don't buy some cheap no-name Chinese rubbish.

Thanks, i'll read it tonight.

Is your PSU bottom or top mounted? If it's top mounted, it will be sucking in air from the case to act like another exhaust fan. What video card do you have, does that also suck air from the case and dump it out the back?
My PSU is bottom mounted fan facing up.
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 660 OC Version. Yes, the video card has a exhaust on it so it should be pushing heat out.

Personally for that setup I'd go for 2X 120/140mm intake fans and 1 top exhaust fan if you have a PSU and video card that sucks heat out of the case, otherwise 2 exhaust fans. Make sure you buy a fan controller. More airflow = more dust, so keep that in mind. Don't turn your computer into a wind tunnel unless you really need a lot of airflow.
Are you saying use 2 rear fans? If that is the case, my case only supports 1 120mm or 1140mm fan.

Buy any reputable brand of fan, don't buy some cheap no-name Chinese rubbish.
I'll look at other fans too.

I wrote a lot about Fan recommendation.

long story short, there's a lot to consider!
if you want to read it, I have that post in my sig. :)

those recommendations are updated, see if they help!

The read was really good and learned allot from it. Thing I noticed are fans with CFM > 80 are hard to find on amazon and newegg. I found more on xoxide website then those. Where is the best place to buy fans based on price and shipping?

The read was really good and learned allot from it. Thing I noticed are fans with CFM > 80 are hard to find on amazon and newegg. I found more on xoxide website then those. Where is the best place to buy fans based on price and shipping?

you can try performance-pcs.com
I have a pretty good experience with them so far.

and they carry most of the fans I talked about.
they use to not have the Reeven 2000 rpm, but now they do:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...=36271&zenid=46407ddb5fc73019abcf0a270cc8642a

see if that helps. :)

Good luck

you can try performance-pcs.com
I have a pretty good experience with them so far.

and they carry most of the fans I talked about.
they use to not have the Reeven 2000 rpm, but now they do:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...=36271&zenid=46407ddb5fc73019abcf0a270cc8642a

see if that helps. :)

Good luck

Thanks. Just few more question. I'm trying to figure out what the most nose I want to deal with, >42 being nosey. However, 42 has no meaning to me because I'm not sure what 42 sounds like.

I have NZXT Phantom 410 Mid Tower and was trying to find decibel but can't find it. What is the nose level of most case stock fans?

Also tried finding the decibel on Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo stock fan and couldn't find it. Do you know the decibel on this fan by any chance?

If you have two fans that are 42 decibel does that sound the same as one fan at 42 decibel?

Last edited:
Thanks. Just few more question. I'm trying to figure out what the most nose I want to deal with, >42 being nosey. However, 42 has no meaning to me because I'm not sure what 42 sounds like.

I have NZXT Phantom 410 Mid Tower and was trying to find decibel but can't find it. What is the nose level of most case stock fans?

Also tried finding the decibel on Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo stock fan and couldn't find it. Do you know the decibel on this fan by any chance?

If you have two fans that are 42 decibel does that sound the same as one fan at 42 decibel?

Who cares how noisy the fans are? With a fan controller you're not going to be running them at 100% all the time so it doesn't matter. With my fan controller I can turn the fans down so much that they actually stop spinning. It will turn even the noisiest fans into complete silence.

Who cares how noisy the fans are? With a fan controller you're not going to be running them at 100% all the time so it doesn't matter. With my fan controller I can turn the fans down so much that they actually stop spinning. It will turn even the noisiest fans into complete silence.
I do the same with the software included with my motherboard(Fan Xpert2), however when gaming or doing something that requires the fan it's kind of annoying.

Based on reading your article this is what I came up with

Front of case I will have two 120mm fans(both intake):

Gentle Typhoon AP-30
Webiste:
Fan Noise: 44.0dBA
Air Flow : 116.5 CFM
Air pressure: ???, however I read it's really good.

Reeven ColdWing 120mm Performance 2000RPM 3-pin Fan
Fan Noise: 36.6dBA
Air Flow : 106.67CFM
Air Pressure: ???

In front of HDD bays(intake)

Yate Loon High Speed 120mm Fan (40dBa, 88CFM)
Fan Noise: 40dBa
Air Flow : 88CFM

Rear(exhaust)

Top(exhaust)

However, I may change the top fan because I think Yate Loon is a Sleeve bearings and I read mounting in any orientation other than horizontal is a bad idea.

Also, are fans in front of HDD bays considered intake?

Intake: 311.17CFM(assuming HDD bay is considered intake.)
exhaust: 176.0CFM
==================
135.17CFM Positive Pressure. However, this doesn't count the heatsink fan which I'm not sure what that is rated at.

My only other consern is what happens to all that positive air flow? Wouldn't it get trapped and heat up if you have positve air flow? Where with negative air flow you're release all that hot air?

Last edited:
Back