• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting Pentium D - 820 or 830 ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Leica

Is the 830 worth $80-90 more than the 820?

Won't the 820 probably overclock to more or less the same speed as the 830?

Thanks.

Leica said:
Is the 830 worth $80-90 more than the 820?

Won't the 820 probably overclock to more or less the same speed as the 830?

Thanks.

I think is not worth, just get a 820, and buy more hd space or better ram...

Thats only my opinion.

Thanks. That's just what I wanted to hear :D

I wonder why so many here got the 830 though...

steveeb - What cooling are you using for your nice 3.7GHz overclock?

The 830 has C1 which will lower the voltage and multiplier during rest or low cpu consumption times. This can help keep things a little cooler...especially when overclocked.

If you plan on just running a 14x multiplier though, you won't get this benefit.

I'm using a Thermalright SI-120, with a Thermaltake 120mm Smart Case fan. Works great. At 75F ambient temperature it runs around 45C idle 53 load.

Nasgul - Why will the 900's be better? From what I understand, basically they will be IDENTICAL, i.e. no hyper-threading, same L2 cache size, etc. Just a shrink from 0.09 to 0.065 micron.

you will see the l2 cache go from 1MB per core, to 2MB per core, for a total of 4MB!

but they wont be out until next year. Who wants to wait? I dont. The 9xx series will be lga775, so it will fit in all current chipsets.

The 9xx series will be lga775, so it will fit in all current chipsets.

Oh, you mean like the 800 series, whice was LGA775 and so worked fine with the current 915/925 chipsets :D

I have heard that the 2MB L2 cores are not any faster since the latecy is higher, i.e. the 500 series and 600 series are neck and neck performance wise, despite double the cache of the 600 series. Is this true???

Nasgul said:
I'm not getting nor I ever will a Pentium D 8xx, they're not "all that" great but it does the trick for a lotta people, personally I'm waiting for the Pentium D 9xx series, those are going to be a lot better in terms of features and power consuming along with other new ones as well. I'd say "save" your money for when those arrive. Not that I have anything against the 8 series but personally I don't think they're my cup of tea, just like 925XE + DDR2 533 wasn't.

Will the architecture of dual core be improved? I want to get a intel system, but haven't decided to go to pentium D dual core or pentium-M Yonah.

Go for an 820 if you plan to overclock. I've had the 820 830 and 840. I get better benchmarks out of the 820. If you go with an 830 you'll probably get a few more MHz out of it, maybe 100 MHz. But even at 100MHz lower clock the 820 will beat the 830 in pretty much everything. Put that extra $90 in your graphics card and you'll be much better off.

icyicy said:
Will the architecture of dual core be improved? I want to get a intel system, but haven't decided to go to pentium D dual core or pentium-M Yonah.
highly doubtful as it's running through the fabs as we speak. it is a shrinked prescott (cedar mill), and that does not change any arch, the next change won't be till merom 2nd half of '06.

edit: change highly doubtful to, no :)

hyperasus - Holy Crap! You are getting 4.1GHz out of your 820! I'll be happy with 3.6+ :D

Well I am also getting the same board as you - the Asus one. My heat sink and fan is going to be the Zalman XPS9500 - the weird looking jet engine one..

Back