• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting started....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Methal

Been folding for a couple years now. Never heard of boinc....well not in the computer sense anyway =)

Just DLed the client for Ubuntu...and....nothing hehe

Figured it would be like folding....

So far all i've really done is register an account at seti@home, now i need to choose a project?

bit lost here.

is there a guide or something I can follow with enough info to get me started? or point me in the right direction?

Thanks +D

Yes, that's why we "crunch" and are crunching, instead of the other. LOL! ;)

Unfortunately there is no Linux guide for BOINC or SETI. BOINC will pretty much run itself once installed but installation on Linux was a pain for me and I've only done it once almost two years ago (I'm a Linux n00b) so bare with me if my labels aren't correct.

First off, go ahead and download the SETI Optimizer from the Lunatics website:
http://lunatics.kwsn.net/index.php?module=Downloads;catd=1

Then I had to create a group for BOINC and give it access to the correct directories. That was the biggest catch I had - getting past the security/permissions issue.

After that, start BOINC and pick a project. If you want to run SETI that's good! :) and it's on the list. When you get BOINC running you'll have to choose the SETI project to start it - BOINC is just a supervisory program for a couple of dozen different DC projects from different Universities. When you get to the end of set-up you should have the option to start BOINC and, from there, BOINC will download the apps. I don't like the short panel they start you on and always pick the other option (whatever it's called) so I have all the short-cut buttons to access my account and team information easily.

Once BOINC is actually doing a work unit you should stop it, exit BOINC, then install the optimizer you DL'ed from Lunatics. There should be an app-info file you'll need to either edit or replace existing. Then restart BOINC, check that the new app is running instead of the default one, and you're on your way.

If you have any other hang-ups then post back and I'll try to remember - or maybe someone else will chime in ... :)

Last edited:
IF you've registered online for a SETI account and have installed BOINC already, then while in BOINC you need to "attach to a project". After you attach, then you can install the optimizations if you wish. What kind of rig are you running? I'll try and find some linux install guide for you.

Back