• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

getting wc soon what should i buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
magick_man said:
a couple things (and before i say this i am gonna say that i havent read every post so sry if i am repeating someone)
first get the dual heatercore from dd instead of the BIX it is 35$
and the peltier can be had for like 20$ + shipping on ebay (thermal enterprises, i paid 20$ shipped for my 170)
also if you are gonna go pelt i would suggest the maze 4-1 block instead of the tdx it has a coldplate that sandwiches the pelt and makes things easier. and the tdx isnt meant to cool a pelt (the base isnt big enough to cover it all the way, i think)
and for fans i would get 2 x 120mm evercool aluminum fans from jab-tech they are like 8 or 9$ each.
and yeah i think that is about it...

The evercool fans aren't anywhere near as good as the Sanyo's and he's never done watercooling before, so I don't think he should get any pelts because then he has to worry about condensation. I didn't know Dangerden sold heatercores. I would have ordered one from them if I had known. So I second the heatercore recommendation.

those fans look good but the only problem i see with them it they are $5 fans with $7 shipping
but i guess if you buy several they will combine and it will all be ok. i just suggested the evercool bc of looks and i have personal experience with them and they are quiet (and i didnt see the ones u linked too) so i guess either fan chioce would be good but it depends wether you want a little more performance of the "blingyness" of the evercool's

ok first off to say some things.. i think him adding the tec relly messed things up.

heres what i sent to criticool to see the full price
$50.00 Danger Den - TDX Series, 1/2" chrome fittings (a64)
$38.00 maze 4 -black (this will work on a 6800 right???)
$44.00 D-Tek JR-120 Heater Core with Fan Shroud -black
$74.50 Danger Den - DD12V-D4 Inline Pump 1/2"
$22.00 WaterPlantT - 4"
$3.50 Water Wetter
$5.99 deep blue uv dye 1oz

things that might change are the heatercore and the maze 4.

i also am going to put some thiner hose in for a few bucks. also since hes relly new at watercooling i am going to print off all the guides to the installing of everything

ok since this is your first time setting up a wc setup i think if you really want to go for the tec then get the maze 4 for now and set up your system to make sure you have everything tested and working fine then later you can order the coldplate and the tec (or just get the maze 4-1 kit in the first place, it might be a little cheaper) when you think you are ready to.
but the funny thing is i recently (a month ago) installed my first wc setup and i went straight ahead and used the maze 4-1 and a 170 watt pelt and ALOT of insulation, and everything went off without a hitch so i guess it is up to you to decide what you want to do.

Dude, forget about the TEC. It's totally unnecessary and I'm sure if more work than he's looking for.

The second line of his opening post:

"I would llike something that is relatively easy to setup, or that comes with a very good manual."

And that is NOT a TEC by any means. Standard watercooling, especially with good parts like he's getting, will drop his temps 10C at load easily. TECs can always be added later.

Also, I would really suggest the Double Heater core at Dangerden

http://www.dangerden.com/mall/Radiators/heatercore.asp

instead of the single 120mm rad. Temps will be significantly lower and it's only a couple bucks more. Really worth it.

wizard james said:
ok first off to say some things.. i think him adding the tec relly messed things up.

heres what i sent to criticool to see the full price
$50.00 Danger Den - TDX Series, 1/2" chrome fittings (a64)
$38.00 maze 4 -black (this will work on a 6800 right???)
$44.00 D-Tek JR-120 Heater Core with Fan Shroud -black
$74.50 Danger Den - DD12V-D4 Inline Pump 1/2"
$22.00 WaterPlantT - 4"
$3.50 Water Wetter
$5.99 deep blue uv dye 1oz

things that might change are the heatercore and the maze 4.

i also am going to put some thiner hose in for a few bucks. also since hes relly new at watercooling i am going to print off all the guides to the installing of everything

I don't think the maze 4 can go on the 6800 but feel free to correct me if i'm wrong. Dangerden have their big block for that. Personally, I would rather use the swiftech with the 6800 adaptor plate because I don't really trust the anodization of the maze4 after seeing the oxidation pictures in this forum... Why can't people make good GPU waterblocks all in copper without lucite? :(

Danger Den did provide copper (or was it brass ?) tops for their Maze3 blocks, i think they did for their Maze4 too, didn't check lately though.
As for the res, forget aluminium capped ones - get a Tundra bay res with nylon barbs.
Modify the list just above accordingly, add a good length of Tygon, zip ties, deionised water, DD NV-68 block (because he can, remember, $500), a 2nd DTEK Pro/Core, 2 good 120mm fans (Panaflo/Papst), a fan controller, dremel cutting discs to mod the case, silentblocks for the pump, 1 nylon Y splitter (black ones from DTek are very good) for the heater core tube routing (then use 2 inlets on the Tundra bay res), a T and a valve (placed at bottom, for purging), various screws (or rivets) and L brackets to mount the heater cores properly, and we're getting closer to the $500...

yea... i see your point.. i would talk more here but i know my bus is rounding the coner ... school.. gr 10 lol.. i know soo much for my age lol

anyways i was thinking of getting him that DD NV-68 block and as for the hose i find tygon not to bend much.. so its hard to move it

also .. as a questiion for me. i have a d-tek hc and i want to know is can u put holes in it... like to mount it?>>...

I am shopping too for a new WC setup.

Dangerden does provide brass tops on demand but I fear oxidation again, even if it's not much of a difference of galvanic potential, it's still there. Or perhaps not; is there someone that had zero problem with dangerden waterblocks with brass tops?

Back