• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting Windows OS to work again

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

themightyrhino

A few days ago I dropped my laptop. Upon startup, the Dell logo shows up but Windows 7 fails to load at all. After running diagnostics tests on the computer several errors came up for SATA disk.

I couldn't find the disk that came with my laptop to reinstall Windows but two years ago, I purchased a Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade from my university in order to upgrade my desktop from Windows Vista to Windows 7. I used this same disk to repair Windows on my laptop. I was able to create my login for my laptop but then I got to the part about typing in the product key. I tried using the product key that's on the bottom of my laptop but I get an error message that states "The product key does not match current Windows SKU." If I use the product key that's on the Windows 7 upgrade I get this error message "The product key is not valid" (I assume since it's associated with my desktop).

What's the best way to get around this or get a product key to work?

I also wrote down the error codes for the SATA disk if that will be pertinent at all.

Thanks.

The easiest way is to contact Dell for the restore disks.

EDIT: Or do you want Windows 7 upgrade on it? If so, install it without a key and there is a registry change you need to do to activate it.

The laptop already has Windows 7 Ultimate on it, I was only using the upgrade disk to see if it would get windows up and running again. I'll give Dell a call. Thanks!

Back