• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

...ghetto mod in the works, heh heh heh... :D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Brundle Fly said:
I wanted to see how well it would polish up, so here's before and after...

Before...

before.jpg

After...

polished.jpg

ASDAKSDJGKABGRAFJLKBNBVAELKKDGN;!!!!!111oneoneone

neonblingbling said:
ASDAKSDJGKABGRAFJLKBNBVAELKKDGN;!!!!!111oneoneone

Yeah, I agree, it does polish up nice, heh heh heh. :clap:

What's bonus about it is that unlike lapping a heatsink, I'm not going for a flat surface, all I need is a mirror finish, makes it much easier. :thup:

Thanks dude, and that's an AMD K6 233ANR 3.2V core(circa 1997) that I'll eventually fire off to Mortis some day, for his collection. Hopefully, by the time I get around to shipping it off to him, he won't be so old that he forgets what these here things used to be for, heh heh heh. :D

Here's my sad attempt at PSP after a 10 minute tutorial by my wife. After about 30 seconds, I was just smiling and nodding my head knowingly, I didn't want to learn, I wanted her to do it. She didn't. So, this is all I learned, heh. The emblems' colours are of course brighter, and the side emblem will be a good 16" long, so it looks smaller than what it will be. That's where the emblems will go, both will be backlit, the front emblem is a pice of cake, I'm gonna have to actually work to get the side emblem lit up, but that's where the fun is. :attn:

pbplans.jpg

Brundle Fly said:
...there wuz a time when I corrected alla my mick-steaks, but I gave up on that, heh heh heh. Bam Bam got his name cause he has always stuck up for the "less fortunate mentally", he's always volunteered to help them out at school. Whilst in grade six, he kicked the crapola out of a ninth grader, who was picking on the kid he(Joshua/Bam Bam) was "charged" with looking after, smoked the dummy, and I mean good. I wuz lost, I wanted to ***** him out about beatin on the guy, severely, but at the same time, I agreed with what he did. We got over it, yet his rep followed him from public school to highschool. People don't bug him, and truely, he's a nice guy, the ladies think he's very "sweet", they don't know him very well, heh heh heh... :^D

...anyhow, so, got no digital, so all I can do is scan those mods that can be scanned. Bam did okay cutting, until he got impatient, then he tried to cut fast, so he's got some filing to do, the jigsaw melted the plexi...

Image1.jpg

...we'll iron it out, only one crack, and it will be painted, no harm, no foul. I'll post pics of the side panel tomorrow, if we have time to work on it... :^)
hahahah need a tracer buddy :santa:

Brundle Fly said:
Thanks dude, and that's an AMD K6 233ANR 3.2V core(circa 1997) that I'll eventually fire off to Mortis some day, for his collection. Hopefully, by the time I get around to shipping it off to him, he won't be so old that he forgets what these here things used to be for, heh heh heh. :D

Here's my sad attempt at PSP after a 10 minute tutorial by my wife. After about 30 seconds, I was just smiling and nodding my head knowingly, I didn't want to learn, I wanted her to do it. She didn't. So, this is all I learned, heh. The emblems' colours are of course brighter, and the side emblem will be a good 16" long, so it looks smaller than what it will be. That's where the emblems will go, both will be backlit, the front emblem is a pice of cake, I'm gonna have to actually work to get the side emblem lit up, but that's where the fun is. :attn:

pbplans.jpg
omg thats soooo geto hahahaha nice man nice i wonder how loud the fan is

Brundle Fly said:
I guess we've been slacking off here, but it was exam time for Bam, and work is back to being busy for me. Due to circumstances, along with my tax rebate, I'll also be getting another nice chunk of change, so along with more time to spend on this, very shortly, we'll have more money to spend on this. :thup:

Good idea, I have to redo the bondo on the cut-off edge again, I don't like how it turned out, there's pinholes in it, and still a few cracks, which I only noticed after the primer was on. On top of that, the primer lifted on the bottom edge of the plexi patch. We have very hard water here, and it's heavily chlorined, so even though I washed the KB with soap and water after sanding, I think some of the chlorine was left behind. The only place the primer lifted was at the very lowest edge of the KB, as it sat while drying. I had dried it by hand, but I have no other explanation for it. I should have washed it down with rubbing alcohol before priming, my fault. The paint-lifting goes right across the bottom edge. :bang head

paintlift.jpg

pinholes.jpg

The KB will look much better when done, it's bonus right now, but with a wee bit more bondo, and the paint to match the case, it'll be sweet. :D

kbprmed.jpg

In the mean time, we've been plodding along with a few things. I've been waiting for the stick-on diamond plate from my buddy, but it hasn't showed up yet. So, I took a look at some doorsill extension at work. It's extruded aluminum, this piece is 1" X 2", but I'll be scooping the 1" X 1" @ 1/8" thick. It'll cost me around $3 a foot, and 8' ought to do it. I'll be using it on the top corners of the case, and as a border for the window. I forgot to ask my boss if I can just scoop flatstock, which would be better for the window, no need to cut down the angled extrusion, then go through the hassle of sanding/filing/dremeling the edge smooth, and straight.

The extrusion...

extrusion.jpg

I wanted to see how well it would polish up, so here's before and after...

Before...

before.jpg

After...

polished.jpg

I only polished the center section of the extrusion, no point polishing all of it, I'm not using that piece.

polished2.jpg

This is how it will look on the case, but it'll be using 1" X 1" like I said, so the upper edge won't look so out of place. I'll fasten these pieces to the case with stainless steel rivets, then clear coat everything piece by piece. Because we have the mural going on the side of the case, it would be impossible to clear it all in one shot, we'll have way too much sanding to do between colour coats on the mural, and overspray would make a freakin big mess of everything. The stainless rivets I'll have to clear coat by hand, but that's no biggie. :D

case.jpg

We'll sand down the cover this weekend, and get Bam started on the mural, cause if he doesn't start it, I will. time to get this show on the road. :cool:
dude what did u use to polish it tell me i want to do that to my case iv tryed wet sanding its good but i dont know what to polish it with pleas tell me

DrunkenCat said:
hahahah need a tracer buddy :santa:

Ain't that the saddest thing you've ever seen? Hahahahaha, yeah man, a real ugly wood blade in a single speed jigsaw, we were talkin precision on that, heh heh heh. :D

We've moved up a few notches since then, no more "raping and pillaging", we try to finesse our way along, as much as we can. Damn that was a brutal start, but we're learning a lot, this forum and the people in it have given us reams of ideas, tips, and words of wisdom. :attn: :thup:

I'll be building myself a workbench out in the garage this spring(my wife will love that, no more mess in the basement), gonna hunt around for a bandsaw at garage sales, maybe I'll splurg and get a "no-name" at Princess Auto, it's not like it will get an industrial workout. A drillpress is definitely required, along with all the other periphials.

I'll post pics once I get the bench started, I can make myself a nice little hide-away out there, I like that idea. :D

DrunkenCat said:
i can get it smoth using 600grid wet sanding paper then should polishi it of get a hi er grid paper ???

This is the ultimate guide to painting your case. My paint hasn't been sanded yet, nor clear coated, so there's still going to be a big improvement on it.

http://www.pc-workshop.net/articles/paint101/paint101-1.shtml

I polished the aluminum with 1500 grit, rinsing the sandpaper often with a dishsoap and water mix. To get the mirror finish, the final polishing has to be done with almost no pressure at all, just let the paper do the work. Let me say this again, this is not like lapping a heatsink, I have a very nice mirror finish on the aluminum, but it's not flat, I did this by hand, without a sanding block, the extrusion has ridges at the edges which I had no desire to sand out. :)

So, we had the chunk of extruded aluminum, and lots of time on our hands. The CD burner has been sitting in the case on two chunks of paper towel roll(inner cardboard) since we bolted the 120mm in up top. This was the bonus "mounting hardware".

oldmnts.jpg

tubes.jpg

I put Josh to work polishing up the parts after I cut them.

josh1.jpg

The new mounts, much better than the cardboard. I have to elongate the bottom hole so I can straighten up the rear mount, no biggie. :)

mntdone.jpg

ghettocomp said:
I am having a hard time waiting to see this finished already! :D
Everything I have seen so far is looking really great!

Thanks man, we're having a great time working on it. We keep adding details though, eventually we'll get it done. :D

threeme2189 said:
cool...a bench...why dont you just nab one from a public park or somthing? its cheaper and more fun and you can paint it in that awsome red color too!!!

Heh heh heh, yeah, not many workbenches in public parks, and a normal bench would be kinda hard to hide as you walked away with it. :D

I've already convinced the wife that I need a small oxy/acetylene setup, so a bandsaw and drill press will be no prob at all.

My bud in Peterborough just came through for me, so now I don't have to kick out $3.50 a foot for extruded aluminum, he sent me the "stick-on" diamond plate, I'm impressed, looks fantastic. I'll make the corner pieces out of aluminum flat stock at work, then stick the fake diamond plate to them so the pieces have a profile. Cost: $0.00. Yeah baby!!! I wasn't sure how good the stuff would look, being stick on, but it's A-One. Cost him $10.00 to mail it to me, but hey, I supplied the steaks for the last two BBQ's at my house, so he's still getting a good deal. :thup:

Here's the goods:

dimndplt.jpg

Saves me about $30, which I can put towards paint, bonus deal. :attn:

that diamond plate is gonna look so cool....
i cant wait to see it on the case...
are the exhaust pipe things stuck to the top of the case yet?
if they are the diamond plate corners will add to the (intended or not) "trucker look"
now you need a big wing-spread-eagle tatoo style sticker on the side...:attn:

threeme2189 said:
that diamond plate is gonna look so cool....
i cant wait to see it on the case...
are the exhaust pipe things stuck to the top of the case yet?
if they are the diamond plate corners will add to the (intended or not) "trucker look"
now you need a big wing-spread-eagle tatoo style sticker on the side...:attn:

The stacks will be the last thing to go on the case, still working out how to mount them and make them look good. The diamond plate is definitely there to add to the trucker look, and Josh will be painting a mural of a Perterbilt semi rig on the side. :thup:

I'm still hunting for a Peterbilt emblem for the side, I'll scoop one eventually. :D

Back