• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

...ghetto mod in the works, heh heh heh... :D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ghettocomp said:
So now, where are you at on your mods? Just gotta kknow.. :)

We're at a stand-still, I need the funds to proceed, and at this time of the year in the window bisness, there's not a lot of work, I've been sitting at home for the last week and a half, and have today off too. In the last 3 1/2 weeks, I've worked 3 days, and one of those days was only 3 hours. I'm goin nuckin futz I'm so bored. No cash flow, so I can't spend my bucks on what I need to finish, seems the wife has this thing about rent and food being bought first. Women, go figure! :D

I gotta get back to work, I need cashflow, and I'm getting cabin-fever, heh heh heh. :eek:

firebat45 said:
looks to me you might need a fan grill, might be used to pushing the eject button and stick your fingers in the fan

I've already done that many time :D Fortunately it's a medium speed Panaflo(2500rpm), so other than a wee tingle on the finger tips, nothing dramatic happens. I can just stick my fingers in it and it stops dead, not advisable, but I had to make sure the kids wouldn't lose a finger. Hmmm, I have them insured for that sort of thing, maybe I should sharpen the blades? ;)

For the front fan, we'll make a transport grill out of the smallest venetian blinds I can find, the frame to hold them is a piece of cake to make, then we'll paint them chrome. :)

Keep them creative juices flowing..
Been following this one for a while, I'm just now cropping up to say how great a job you're doing. I look forward to further results.

Boredom has set in, I don't work until next Tuesday at the earliest, at least I get paid for Friday. Anyhow, in the meantime, here I sit, once again, @4am, just woke up, and way beyond falling back to sleep.

I was going to say at 4am, "in the morning", as I've seen posted countless times before in forums all over the net, the same as I've seen people post many times over, kinda like reading at 7pm, "at night". Umm, the "PM/AM" part gave it away, but thanks for pointing that out for me.

I believe I think far too much about schtuff when I'm bored/not working, too much time on my hands, people such as myself need to be kept busy, when we have time to analyze things, we tend to, well, analyze schitt. I'm not sure if it is just a co-inkydink that the first two syllables of "analyze" make up the word "anal", but it sure is fitting.

Heh, using "anal" and "fitting" in the same sentence is rather amusing to me, I've always been a firm believer that your azzhole is a "one-way street", so saying that something is fitting, when it comes to azzholes, is kinda "oxy-moronic". Is that a word? "Oxy-moronic"? If it wasn't, I just invented it.

Nope, just checked with dictionary.com, "oxy-moronic" is a word, I'll have to invent something else this week, just to be productive. I'd commit hari-kiri over this, but it seems that Lisa has locked up all the sharp knives and I rather doubt that disembowelment can be accomplished with a paper cut. I did have a rather severe "paper-cut" from a cardboard box one time, or would that be a "cardboard cut"? That's not really important, the fact of the matter is that it(the cardboard box cut) came nowhere close to disemboweling me. I don't think it(disembowelment) can be done in that manner.

So, why am I rambling on here? Well, cause I have an update. I finally convinced Josh to clean up his room(read: I threatened to kill him if he didn't clean it), and I was able to actually walk around downstairs without wearing cootie repellant(I got a nasty case of cooties from his room one time, I won't go into details, it was very traumatic for me), which meant I could do a wee bit of work on the computer.

So, here we go.

Wait, I have to say that I took about 1/2 an hour composing this post in the OC forums, jumped into a cab to go get smokes and beer just before I posted, returned home, finished my post, clicked "post message", and was then greeted with a notice that the forums were down. http://www.inetinteractive.com/maintenance/index.html Unlike most forums on the net, where the "back button" can save your azz, you can save the meandering diatribe you just composed, iNET is not like that, the back button doesn't work, so your post is gone.

I would have sent them another letter stating how displeased I was by all of this, but since the last time I told them all about how I was going to kill them, they have threatened me with legal action. That's just not right, if I had been serious, I would have primed my bombs. In fact, I keep my primer cord, caps, and explosives separate, I never combine them until I'm ready to kill things/people. I feel I have been discriminated against. A threat is one thing, and I have never been convicted of a bombing, so that makes me innocent. I rest my case.

Anyhow, on with the project......

This is a minor update, but it is a major chunk of work. Here's the keyboard, sans keys, I won't put them back in for maybe a month, the paint has to harden, then be clear-coated, or it will wear off, which takes a good 30 days(for the paint to harden, not to put the keys back in or the paint to wear off). After 30 days, I'll throw the rubbing-compound to it, then polish it. The keyboard is not really that bright, it's the same colour as the rest of the case, a deep metallic red, but for the life of me, I can't take a pic that shows that off.

KB.jpg

I'm sure Lisa could show me how to do it, but that would mean admitting that I know less than my wife does, and I can't see that happening, heh heh heh.

I'll see if i can't get a pic in the daylight tomorrow, it may look better. A month to go, and the left shift key on this KB is bull****, you have to hammer it, so I'll just live with un-captilized letters when they occur from now on, i'm tired of going back to correct them, I want my damn KB back!

Ross, from Premier peterbilt in Brampton dropped me off a couple emblems, he said no charge, he just wants pics when it's done, very cool dude :) This is how the front emblem will look, the oval behind the emblem is clear, as in "see-through", the CCFL's will show up through it very well, I'll be mounting this on the case tomorrow/today, the 23rd.

pete.jpg

Heh, I didn't feel like dremeling through 1/4" plexi for this oval, so I cut it out of the back of my drill-bit case. It worked very well, doesn't need to be strong, and was quick to cut. If all plexi was this thin, modding would be so easy.

backer.jpg

I'll have another update tomorrow. Later people, I do hope that you all find some sort of entertainment value in my meandering diatribes. :thup:

man you are BORED!
and that post wipe-out thing has happened to me a couple of times...GRRRRR:mad:

well nice mod! the kb looks nice! but why does the paint take so long to dry?
btw: about the camera problems try looking up the manual in the internet or find the copy that came with the camera and read the darn thing!

threeme2189 said:
man you are BORED!
and that post wipe-out thing has happened to me a couple of times...GRRRRR:mad:

well nice mod! the kb looks nice! but why does the paint take so long to dry?
btw: about the camera problems try looking up the manual in the internet or find the copy that came with the camera and read the darn thing!

Thanks dude :) The paint doesn't take long to dry, it takes a long time to harden. Considering the KB will get the most abuse, I want the paint to be fully hardened before I sand it for the clear coat, then it will sit another week or two before it gets used. KB's are a pain to paint, I really don't want to do it twice, no chipped or dented paint on this puppy.

The camera? It came with a manual, the only thing I checked out in there was the battery charger, I wanted to make sure I didn't cook my batteries. The rest? The manual has like 100 pages, that's a lot of studying, it's easier for me to tell my wife I'm lost with some feature, and let her read the manual, do the experiments, then tell me what to do. Women love it when a man says he doesn't know how a techno gadget works, and they need a woman's help, they're on that like white on rice.

I could read it myself, but why should I? My wife will do that, then teach me, and feel good about knowing more about the camera than I do. That's OK by me, I just want to point and shoot. Besides that, I'm a guy, we don't read manuals, it's not allowed heh heh heh :D

Sorry about the lack of updates, work has been "spotty", to say the least, so no cash flow, no mods, for some reason my wife thinks that food for her and the kids, plus rent, comes first, mods, and computer parts, are secondary.

Where do these women come up with these ideas? :shrug:

Anyhow, supposedly I'm back to work full-time next week, so hopefully I can update this in a week or two. The lack of progress on this project is starting to bug me, but I can't really do anything about it. Frustration is setting in, and that's not good. I haven't given up on this mod, I'm just waiting until my wife won't kill me for buying more paint instead of food, heh heh heh :D

I shall return, count on it, this mod is far from being dead, it's just in "snooze mode" right now.

firebat45 said:
manuel? instructions? what are you!!! And you call yourself a modder, shame.

Just kidding

Manual? MANUAL? We don't need no steenking manual! :p

Heh heh heh.

well actually i read manuals...im like the tech person in the family...my dad bought long range walkie-talkies and i just went right through the instructions and tought everybody how to use em...same thingh for the DVD player we got. i even hooked it up.
now im researching on what my dad needs for a dual 19 inch screen setup for his office. but still who needs manuals? its trial and error all the way!!!!!

i like the truly canadian aspect of ur pics, the toonie, the canadian tire money, the lakeport. oh btw, lakeport IMO is possibly the worst tasting beer ever, the next closest are lucky lager and laker (itsa bucka beer, couldnt help myself, needed to advertise):D

hainer36 said:
i like the truly canadian aspect of ur pics, the toonie, the canadian tire money, the lakeport. oh btw, lakeport IMO is possibly the worst tasting beer ever, the next closest are lucky lager and laker (itsa bucka beer, couldnt help myself, needed to advertise):D

I drank Kokanee for a while, but it was over-priced, so I moved to Coor's Light for the free t-shirts. They stop giving out free t-shirts, but I kept drinking it, even though it's nothing more than watered down Canadian. It became over-priced and I was at a loss for what to buy. On the way to the beer store in a cab one day, the cabby suggested I try out Lakeport Honey, told me it was only a buck a beer. I love it, the wife loves it(DAMN!), it has a very nice taste.

I still snag a six-pack of Stella Artois maybe twice a month($12.75, man it's expensive) which is excellent beer, but far too expensive. Lakeport is cheap because they don't spend a billion dollars a year on advertising. When I started drinking it over a year ago, they had one skid dedicated to Lakeport at the beer store, now, we're talking four skids.

There are plenty of cheap beers out there, but none of them compare to Lakeport Honey when it comes to flavour. Your tatses will become more refined as you grow older, and watered down beer won't do the trick for you anymore. I didn't go out looking for cheap beer, but I am happy the beer I like is cheap :shrug:

On with the mod......

The keyboard

keyboard.jpg

The inspiration for my front fan cover

grill.jpg

The cover started out as a piece of aluminum flatstock, I adjusted the pic till it was the right size for the cover, then got my wife to print it up. I then used that pic as a stencil for the the grill.

gr1.jpg

Then the "fun" began

gr2.jpg

I glued the aluminum to a piece of plexi using contact cement, it needed some beef, the aluminum tends to keep the curve it had from the coil, so the gluing it to the plexi flattened it out. No jigsaw involved here, the "bars" between the holes are very thin, a jigsaw would have snapped them, so I went the way of the "drill and dremel", it worked, although it was time-consuming :shrug:

gr3.jpg

Man man! That's a lot of holes to drill out, heh

gr4.jpg

gr7.jpg

gr9.jpg

Here's a pic of the finished piece, with the burner face-plate in there for contrast. I have better pics of it, but Yahoo is being an *** about uploading right now, so the good pic will have to wait. The mesh behind the grill is from a "splatter screen", you know, the screens made for covering a frying pan so the grease doesn't spit all over your stove? That's the third one, I screwed up two others, but at $1.15 a pop, tax in at the Dollar Store, I wasn't worried about it. Heh, same splatter screen at Home Hardware? $7.99. Get a grip, the Dollar Store rocks! :p

cont.jpg

A Peterbilt embem will be painted on after the clear goes on. Yes, that's the metal cast ground coat, I'm going to clear coat over top of that, it looks awesome.

Originally, we were going to go with a red grill, but considering Peterbilt's have a huge chunk of chrome out front, I stripped this down and went back to a chrome look.

redgrill.jpg

Here's the "splatter screen" I used for the mesh

splat1.jpg

My original plan for the top

box.jpg

Where it actually went, 2 inches got cut off of it, and another piece was built.

stackbox.jpg

Stacks in, that's a vent for the blowhole in the top of my case in th lower section

stacks2.jpg

Bam, hard at work with the dremel

joshdremel.jpg

top1.jpg

So, it starts to come together

full.jpg

together2.jpg

Last edited:
Now I'm getting really ticked off, I can't upload the pics of the paint job, Yahoo let me upload one freakin file, and now everything has gone wonky. I'll reboot and see if the prob is on my end, maybe I stressed out PSP, anyhow, last pic, before the paint

case1.jpg

Back