• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 settings for 1600 memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeeJay_Gmoney

Guys, please forgive me but I am new here and I have never overclocked before. Sorry if this is repetitve.

I just bought the 990fxa-ud3 with the fx 8120 AMD 8 core processor. I also purchased 16gb (4x4) of Corair vengeance ddr3 memory (1600). I also have the Radeon HD6570 2gb DDR3 video card. I have installed Windows 7 Ultimate on a 2TB seagate hard drive.

According to Windows, only 14gb of memory is installed with 12gb usable. I have been doing some research and it appears that there are setting I have to change in the BIOS. As I mentioned, I have never done this before. I do not know what has to be changed. I know there are multiple settings that should be change so can someone please help me with those settings? My system runs somewhat ok. It does not multitask well and it should considering the hardware i have. Thanks in advance.

:welcome:

try CPU-NB +0.05-0.10V , main timings manually ( can try tRCD +1 if standard won't work ), command rate ( CR ) 2T, tRFC 160

Thanks Woomack.

Ok, I figured out the issue. Well a friend of mine did. First off, we took each memory dimm and tested it in Dimm slot 1. They all showed up as 4gb in Windows. We then tested each dimm slot one at a time with a single memory dimm. The PC booted with with the single dimm in each slot with the exception of Dimm slot #3. The setup is 1-3-2-4. So the second dimm slot is actually #3. So, thinking that dimm slot #3 was bad due to the pc not booting, we placed another dimm into slot 1. The pc booted but it reported 8gb was installed. Weird. It didnt boot with a single dimm in #3 like the other dimm slots. After placing all 4 dimms into each slot and booted the pc, Windows report 16gb was installed. My original issue was windows reporting 14gb installed with only 12 usable and in the BIOS it was reporting the memory was 1333mhz.

We also turned a few options in the BIOS from auto to manual. One being the "Set memory clock" because it was reporting that the memory was 1333mhz but it was actually 1600mhz. We selected #8 which is 1600mhz. We also turned the voltage to manual. Now the BIOS has a flashing warning that is complaining about the voltage but the voltage is set to manufacture settings. We also did not receive the error message about booting incorrectly due to overclocking.

I think the motherboard has a bad dimm slot but i will see what happens after a few reboots. The motherboard has a 3 year warranty so i can return it if things go back to incorrect reporting in window.

Back