• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte B450 DS3H and GeIL EVO POTENZA 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thesharkie

Registered
Hola, new member here, so please go easy.

I recently built a PC for my son, but, for the life of me I cant get the memory to overclock in the BIOS. I'm just wondering if anybody has this set up and managed to get the memory to overclock. I set up the XMP Profile 1 and set overclock to 3200hz, but no luck.

We have a Ryzen 7 2700x and RX590

Thank you

Did you get the Potenza that is intended for AMD?
Maybe post a pic of CPUz memory tab so we can see the timings and model #

GeIL EVO POTENZA AMD 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model GAPR416GB3200C16ADC - this is exact memory i bought and claims to be Ryzen ready

Are you overclocking or trying to get the memory to run at its stock speed (3200 mhz)?

You didnt list a motherboard, create a signature or list his hardware, please. :)

Did you update the bios on the board to the latest version?
Are the sticks in the proper slots (see mobo manual)?

Valid points.

Im just trying to get the memory to run at stock 3200hz, it currently runs at 2133hz.

My Specs are : Gigabyte B450 DS3H, Ryzen 7 2700x, Rx590

ty. :)

Update that BIOS and give it another try...make sure the sticks are in the proper slots.

So i updated the BIOS, running the current version, checked with CP-Z, still wont run with 3200hz

Is this the Gigabyte B450M DS3H? I don't have an ATX version come up when I search.

What's happening when you set XMP > save> and reboot?
The sticks are in slots 2 and 4?
You can try bumping the RAM voltage to 1.4 V and see if it will boot.

Is this the Gigabyte B450M DS3H? I don't have an ATX version come up when I search.

What's happening when you set XMP > save> and reboot?
The sticks are in slots 2 and 4?
You can try bumping the RAM voltage to 1.4 V and see if it will boot.

Yes its the Gigabyte B450M DS3H, not sure what ATX is. I will check which slots the memory are in when I get home and bump up the voltage.

ATX is the form factor/size of the motherboard...not sure what he is getting at with it though...lol!

As I just said:
ATX is the form factor/size of the motherboard...

ATX and mATX are form factors......or sizes/standard for motherboards.

You said B450M up top, which the "M" tends to stand for MICROATX (mATX) and that threw JOhan. I just assumed you had the ATX size board.

You're def not wrong there! The RX590 was faulty on the first build. And the new one now keeps over heating and crashing, hence, me re-checking everything and trying to get the Ram to work at 3200hz. Im really struggling with this..

What case are you using and is the Rx590 being starved for fresh air due to confinement or lack of ventilation?

What make and model and wattage of power supply are you using on this build?

As has been requested by another, please create a Signature with a complete list of components. To create a "Sig", click on Settings in the upper right corner of this page and look down the left side of the page until you find "Edit Signature".

Thank you.

That PSU is a Microcenter house brand I believe. Look at this discussion on Redit about it: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/941451-powerspec-psus/ Especially Seon123's comments. Is it a new component or carried over from an existing older build?

I know you are not going to want to hear this but I suggest you return the GEIL RAM and go with a GSKill product geared toward AMD.

The other thing you should check is the motherboard's bios version. If there is a newer version available on Gigabyte's website you should probably install it on the motherboard. Since Ryzen came out, motherboard manufacturers have been very busy turning out new bios revisions designed to improve memory compatibility. That seems to have been the big challenge of the Ryzen platform. Many many or most issues have been corrected but there are still outliers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back