• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32 GB DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory Overclock To 4800MHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fzaman92

Hello!

I have a kit of Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory.

I have read Woomack's review on the same kit (but in 2 x 8GB) and I would like to achieve the same 4800MHz overclock he did.

I have a X570 Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard with a Ryzen 9 3950X CPU.

Can someone assist me in how I can achieve a 4800MHz overclock like Woomack did on his X570 motherboard?

Timings and motherboard settings would be much appreciated. Thank you!

We'll wait for woomack to chime in here... but good luck. 4x8gb and 4800 mhz isnt easy, nor is it worth it really on amd in the first place considering it goes off 1:1 around 3733/3800mhz... just not a point imo unless you are benchmarking. :)

I was thinking that the new Ryzen processors coming out next month may have better IF ratio and be able to take advantage of ram overclocks. If I can get a 1:1 with anything 4000MHz+ on that, I will sell my 3950X and upgrade.

How high you can overclock depends on many factors. I don't know if your motherboard can make 4800 at any reasonable settings. Most CPUs actually can make ~4800 as max on ambient temps so it's also not guaranteed you can make it.
Another thing is used memory IC. The memory kit that I was testing was based on Micron E IC. It's overclocking well, performance is not the best. The same memory kit can be based on Samsung or Hynix as 3600 CL18-19-19 settings are nothing special for most popular IC.

1. Check what IC has your memory kit - Thaiphoon Burner should handle that.
2. Set CL20-26-26-52 and 1.55V and check how high it will go. When you stuck then check SOC (CPU_SOC or something like that) voltage up to 1.3V.
3. When you hit a wall and will know memory IC then come back for additional tips. In case of Micron E or Hynix D, you can't make much more than set CL18-24-24 1.50-1.55V. In case of Samsung B you can set tighter timings but will be harder with higher clock.

Typical Ryzen 3000 will reach DDR4-4600. Above average DDR4-4800. Good chips will pass DDR4-5000. For that you need good motherboard, good memory controller and good RAM.
I'm not sure how high will go 4 memory modules. I'm usually overclocking 2 modules in various capacities as my favorite motherboards have 2 slots ... so 2x8GB, 2x16GB or 2x32GB.

I have 4650G CPU but I had no time to perform any tests yet. Will post a thread with Samsung B and maybe Micron E in some days.

Thank you Woomack!

I will take your input and report with my results. Do you only change the timings you mention or do you change all the other sub timings as well (what it shows in Ryzen Ram Calculator).

Thank you for your time.

I'm not using ryzen calc at all. For general tests I'm using mostly main timings and 2-3 additional as this is where most users stop. This is mostly to show what memory can make without spending a lot of time on additional tweaking as it's not helping much and not every motherboard support all settings.
For more specific tests I modify most of the timing table. Some settings are not helping at all and I'm skipping them. It also depends on used IC. For example if you have Micron IC then tweaking sub-timings is not helping much and you can't really lower most timings much. On Samsung IC there are more timings that can be adjusted and actually make some difference (at least in synthetic benchmarks).
If you compare actual performance gain from tweaking sub-timings then it's often not worth the time. In most cases it's 0-1% difference in games or most other software. Ryzen likes high memory clock and mostly with high infinity fabric clock. That's why optimal for Ryzen 3000 is something like 3600 with 1800MHz IF clock (or up to 3800/1900 if your CPU can handle that). To match this performance you have to set DDR4-4600+ at infinity fabric to memory ratio 1:2 (or simply auto at anything past ~3800). Ryzen 4000/5000 will give higher IF clock. Some results are in my GSkill Neo 3600 CL14 thread.

Thank you for your input!

I am planning to upgrade to the new 3950X replacement when it releases next month. Hopefully it allows 1:1 Infinity Fabric at DDR4 speeds of 4000+.

My 4650G goes stable up to 4533 and boots at 4600 but crashes in everything so I assume that 4400 will make every chip, 4533 maybe too or just above average and 4600 probably if you are lucky. Just some thoughts looking at how it works.

You get 1:1 Infinity Fabric with 4533MHz stable? I saw your G.Skill review just now.

Working on it right now. The CPU is sometimes acting weird but maybe it's a motherboard/BIOS mix. Earlier today I couldn't make it run stable with memory at 4400/4533 and SOC below 1.45V while after some restarts and switching to more relaxed timings it passed 1h+ AIDA64 stability test at 4533 CL18-18-18 1:1 and 1.35V SOC.

That's incredible! Thanks for the info. Can't wait for the new processors to come out.

Back