• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte board won't go into BIOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

penetrecion

During POST if I hit any key at all on my keyboard the system will freeze. I contacted Gigabyte support and they had me disconnect everything but the basics to run the PC and try a PS/2 keyboard to troubleshoot. I don't have a PS/2 keyboard but I used an adapter on my USB keyboard and had the same results. Also trying different RAM sticks in different slots did no good either. Gigabyte tech said RMA it but I'd like to know the cause.

I also tried updating the BIOS, resetting the CMOS, all the tech supports suggestions but got nowhere.

It's weird, the system runs beautifully but I can't enter BIOS any more. I've never seen this before. I have since removed the board and purchased a new one, which is in my sig, but I plan to assemble this board in another case and attempt to figure out it's problem.

Anyone ever see this before?

It's probably a bad or going bad bios chip. You can always buy 1 off of EBAY, and they are usually pretty cheap ($5-$10). It would be cheaper than mailing the board back to Gigabyte, and the long wait (usually 3 weeks) for the RMA. I would also try a different keyboard. I am sure that you know someone (or have one yourself) that has one you can use. Also you could try booting the board with just the processor and memory and see if you can get into the bios (if you haven't already tried).
-Greg

I'll take a look on ebay. I tried 2 different keyboards actually, when I was troubleshooting it. My keyboard has no issues with the new Biostar board so I figured it's just the Gigabyte board flaking out.

Back