• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4, X4 965be RAM suggestion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

8GordonFreeman8

Registered
Can anyone te'll me the best ram I could use to OC with my mobo and cpu listed in title.Different recommendations would be appreciated, preferably from someone who has used this board. I know I can put up to 16gb and to get 1866 out of the ram I need to use channel 2-4. I think...😉
Can I fill them all? Brands? Sizes? 8x2 in channel 2and4? 1333 or 1600? Or can i actually get 1866 ? I've heard of sometimes potential trouble between them for OC with different brands. I'm new to this aspect of computing, and forums too. Patience appreciated.

Any guides, links, resources, lists, etc. appreciated very much. Thanks.

Last edited:
with my 965 I run 1333, 4x2gig sticks with the tightest timings I can get.
I avoid kingston and crucial with amd.

There is no such board as a 790XTA- UD3
What board do you really have?
It makes a difference.

LOL, wow. Thanks for catching that typo. Yeah. It's a Gigabyte ga-790xta-ud4. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank u

I figured.
I have your board.
8 gig sticks are not supported.
I have had 4 x 2 gig sticks @ over 1600 though @ 7-8-7 timings.
G.Skill branded memory w/ PSC chips.
Example: G.Skill Flares, Eco's, some Trident's

You mind if i ask a question in your thread ? its related [emoji4]

EDIT: never mind sorry, just found out that none of my motherboards have core unlock function (ASUS apparently removed it in all 2.0 revisions) so I can’t try out my new toy :(

Last edited:
Would this be good to use "G skill ripjaws ddr3 1866," f3-149clsd-8gbxl?

I assume these are 4 gig sticks.
Should be fine, although you'll never see 1866. Most AMD don't have real good IMC's.
1600-1800 is the sweet spot for that 965. 4 sticks should be no problem @ 1600 with 9-9-9-24 timings.

Back