• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-990FX Gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evil-Mobo

So what do we know about this mobo, I am considering it for a couple of builds I need/want to do with FX-83 series CPU's.....?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128886

I read the sticky and was between the Sabertooth, CVFZ, and the Gigabyte UD5........

But this has more modern features and cost less and I just have always had good experience so far with the Gigabyte mobo's........

It's an unknown.
That said, it looks like the VRM has the balls to push an 8XXX chip pretty hard, assuming there's solid cooling involved.

It's an unknown.
That said, it looks like the VRM has the balls to push an 8XXX chip pretty hard, assuming there's solid cooling involved.

I think it's worth a shot, so I'm gonna give one a try soon, probably on my brothers build first. My PC will be the last one built after the wife's and my brothers.

Let us know how it goes for sure, definitely looks like a solid board.

I will, can be my first way to contribute something on here besides the madness of my build log lol......

Hope you'll hook it to a custom loop and into the 5+ GHz range to give it a real test though ;)

Hope you'll hook it to a custom loop and into the 5+ GHz range to give it a real test though ;)

For my build yes, my brother no lol.....can;t afford a custom loop for everyone. I will most likely get him an AIO though for his CPU, but look for a reference style cool running GPU that sucks the air out the back of the case, the 970/960 really appeals to me here. The nephews 4GB 960 has been awesome at stock speeds.........

I know the UD5 R5 is fairly solid. I haven't gotten the loop parts yet to really push it. If the gaming is marketed as higher end than the UD5, then you should be fine for 4.5ghz minimum (cooling permitting). Mine seems like it has quite a bit more room in the board, but my cooling solution at the time was the problem (old H80, died not too long ago, got the 212 as a temp/backup)

I know the UD5 R5 is fairly solid. I haven't gotten the loop parts yet to really push it. If the gaming is marketed as higher end than the UD5, then you should be fine for 4.5ghz minimum (cooling permitting). Mine seems like it has quite a bit more room in the board, but my cooling solution at the time was the problem (old H80, died not too long ago, got the 212 as a temp/backup)

Thanks I'm waiting on a deal for a used ASUS CHFV first to see what happens, if not will be giving this a try......

I know this is an old thread but I don't know where else to go to try and find this information =/ I am looking for water cooling options for this motherboard mentioned (gigabyte 990fx gaming). Does anyone know of any waterblocks or options that would fit either the vrms, northbridge, or both? I see some for other 990fx boards like the ud3 etc but don't know if anything out there would fit this board. Any help is appreciated.

If you really want to watercool the VRM you'll have to locate a non specific mosfet cooling block. Personally I would just get a fan blowing on them and one on the back of the board. I wouldn't spend the money on it.

Thank you for the reply Johan. As a project I’m putting a water cooling loop in my system so was hoping to just tie it in while I was at it.

Back