• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P, Voltage settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sandwich

Specs:
Phenom II X4 945 + Scythe Mugen-2 Rev.B + AS5
Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P (AMD 790X NorthBridge, ATi SB750 SouthBridge)
G.Skll DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24
NV GTX 260
Corsair VX550

So I've OC'ed my 945 to 3.405Ghz and it's completely stable at stock voltages.
CPU Core Clock: 227
CPU Core Multi: 15x --> Auto
CPU NB Multi: 9x --> 2043 Mhz
HT Link Mutli: 9x --> 2043 Mhz
DDR3 Mutli: 6.66x --> DDR3 1514
Missing anything?

So now I'm trying to bump up that CPU NB Mutliplier to 10x. That wasn't stable at stock voltages, wouldn't even POST. I bumped up the CPU NB VID voltage in the BIOS from 1.100V to 1.125V and was able to POST and get into Windows.
However, I get into AMD Overdrive, and the Voltages are at stock. Rebooted, checked CPUID Hardware Monitor, same dealio. Stability tests fail at stock voltages (calculation test errors) but they fail after 10-20 minutes when I manually up the CPU NB voltage to 1.125V in OverDrive (basically in the right direction of stability).

I tried changing other voltages around in the BIOS. They are all reset by the time I get into Windows.

Whats the problem?

See the voltages in my signature as a reference point and read Dolk's AMD Phenom II guide if you have not already. If AMD Overdrive won't work for you then you can manually set the BIOS options.

You can raise the CPU-NB to 1.20V and the SB/HT to 1.26V without any issue. Raising the CPU NB frequency did not work on my 965 BE. Each CPU is different so you will need to figure out what your's desires.

See the voltages in my signature as a reference point and read Dolk's AMD Phenom II guide if you have not already. If AMD Overdrive won't work for you then you can manually set the BIOS options.

You can raise the CPU-NB to 1.20V and the SB/HT to 1.26V without any issue. Raising the CPU NB frequency did not work on my 965 BE. Each CPU is different so you will need to figure out what your's desires.

I am setting voltages via the BIOS, but its not staying when Windows is booted. Any voltage bumps (CPU, SB, NB, any of them) I do are not sticking.
Should I be OCing the southbridge?
I guess maybe my Northbridge can't operate at 2270mhz no matter what I do??
Where is Dolk's guide?

:welcome: to OCF!

First the easy answer: This is the Phenom II Guide.

I wouldn't use AOD (AMD OverDrive) since some versions of it have issues with some boards. Use CPU-Z to check vCore (CPU voltage) and don't worry about the other voltages being correct. If you Save & Exit from BIOS your changes should be made - unless the OC fails. If that happens your board should reset and tell you it has reset. I would use OCCT or Prime95+CoreTemp for stability testing and to check your load core temp. You need to keep load core temp at or below 55°C and less is better. You might want to let us know what that is so we have an idea how good your cooling/ambients are. ;)

Beenthere's sig voltages are a good place to start. Set the vCore to 1.40v and the cpuNB VID to 1.20v and everything should be good. Make sure you adjust the cpuNB and not the NB chipset voltage. I would also raise the RAM voltage one notch to 1.55v.

Give those settings a shot and post your results if you can. I'm sure that CPU/board combination can go higher ...

Back