• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte mobo won't post once inside case??!?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hinderpits

I just got my rma replacement board today for a customer, and this one works.....but only when outside the case. I hook everything up just lying on the table it posts, boots, everything fine. When i put it in the case, it won't even flinch. I have had it running outside the case with all peripherals hooked up, and even tried only the vital stuff while inside the case just to get it to turn on at all. Nothing is making contact anywhere, and everything is the same as when outside the case.:bang head Any ideas?

mobo:

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail ATI Radeon HD4200, DirectX10.1 and 2 oz copper PCB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128394

the rest:
AMD Phenom II X2 545 Callisto 3.0GHz Socket AM3
4gb mushkin pc6400
1x120gb wd black sata
stock cooler
24xliteon dvd rw
antec 900
ob video/sound

The only thing the case ought to change is whether or not it's making contact, I would think. You're sure it's not touching anything? The standoffs aren't going anywhere they shouldn't? Are you using the same switch to turn it on/off inside the case as you are outside?

Also, be sure nothing is more cramped inside the case that causes things to become unseated.

I've been trying to think of what this could be, and realized maybe it's the screws I'm using? It seems unlikely, but this board didn't come with screws, and I just pulled a handful of case screws out of my jar and put it in. I've used these screws for the same thing many times with no problem, and they don't seem to touch anything they shouldn't, but it's the only thing i can think of....thoughts?

here is a pic of one of my screws, i think we've all seen them before...........

dscf3543n.jpg
By hinderpits, shot with FinePix S5700 S700 at 2009-09-10[/IMG]

That would probably only be an issue if they're touching something else when screwed down. You're sure they're not too wide and touching a component or trace somewhere?

Or the power switch is broken...again, you ARE using the same power switch inside and outside the case, yes?

Yeah i am using the same switch. There is a built in backplate on the mobo for the cpu cooler bracket, I placed some tape over the edges and now it works fine. Why would they use such a rigid, deep backplate that it would contact the mobo tray? oh well all is well now thanks for the replies.

Back