• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Gigabyte Socket A

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deathhorse

I have a gigabyte board with cpu 1.3ghz it will not post. it powers but nothing on screen its just black. :shrug:

I figure its the mobo but want to know if anyone has tips on how to be for sure. My friend tried to put in a new cpu in it and i guess it wasn't compatible. Maybe he fried it. We got the computer for free so oh well if it doesnt work. i dont see any bad caps and I am running a PCI graphics card.

Thanks.

What motherboard model? Does it make any beeps? Have you tried resetting the cmos or pulling the battery?

Knowing what exact board model you have makes a difference since not all Socket A boards will support all Socket A chips.
From what I can see at the moment, it does seem to be a dead CPU but until we can verify the CPU and board are compatable to each other, it's just a guess for the moment. You stated it came with a 1.3GHz chip, probrably a T-Bird chip.

We'd also need to know specs on the chip used to test it and the original if you could supply that info. I've had freebies given to me before and I know one was something that was thrown together, didn't work and eventually figured out the parts didn't jive well with each other, as in mis-matched parts.

no beeps on startup pulled the battery. and tried the Cmos jumper I can post pics of the board when i get home from work.

Dead cpu is highly possible. I did see under the CPU there is some type of lead or trace sticking up. Maybe its a temp sensor.....

I believe that is the board.

If you'll look it over carefully, you may see some info printed onto the board under a PCI slot or somewhere like that.
It looks similar to my GA 7ZX board which has similar specs to the one you linked to but the chipset cooler does seem to match in your pics to the one you linked to. Check and see what CPU's are supported by the board and if a 1.3GHz chip is shown, then it's probrably a bad CPU. If you turn the system on, then hold the power button for about 5 seconds and it cuts off, that's a sign the board is probrably still OK. As places you can get a CPU cheap for testing it or any other with, here's a link you can check out:
http://www.starmicroinc.com/cgi/commerce.cgi?display=home

All you'd need is one of the really cheap ones (Duron) to test it with to minimize your $$'s in it just in case the board really is bad and these should be supported by it.

I did see under the CPU there is some type of lead or trace sticking up. Maybe its a temp sensor.....

Yep, that's a temp sensor.

Do you have the old CPU to test the board with, the one that was in there before your friend put in the new one? Or, was it dead too?

Hold insert while booting.
Thisa can take several tries, alternate between powerup by power button and turning off power supply and powering up. This may be the only way to detect new CPU.

Back