• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte UD5 issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kylesims

I have a Gigabyte UD5 990FX, and it's a few years old. Last night, it wass working fine. Restarted a couple times for some different installs, and it was good. Shut it down for the night, and turned it on this morning and it comes up to the Gigabyte screen instead of posting l ike normal. I hit tab to post, and it doesn't respond - Doesn't respond to any keyboard commands. Help? It's been posting like normal for years, why did it randomly start showing this screen today? Is my motherboard dead?

Pulled the CMOS battery and it didn't help - Can't find the jumper.

Thinking it is, in fact, fried. While looking for the jumper, I saw a drop of water fall from my CPU block onto the back of my graphics card, right above the contacts/PCI slot. I don't know if that just started today, or if it's been going on, but it seems to be a steady drip every 30 seconds or so.

FML.

It's very possible that if you disassemble everything and let it dry out good that it'll work fine.
Components are surprisingly resilient.

Just reassemble with the air cooled parts once you let it dry for a day or so.

Yeah, I've got it powered down now, working on my HTPC/Plex Server machine. Gaaah. Gonna try and get some air cooling equipment next week, and see if it can work - I mean, this machine went through having a half glass of OJ spilled across half the motherboard a few years back, water should be nothing. But, we'll see.

As far as electronics being resilient here is an example. I put a computer outside my house to dispose of. It snowed that night and when I plowed I buried it. Due to a crap ton of snow storms it stayed buried til mid April. The pile finally melted and I had almost forgotten about it. I let it dry for a few days in the sun. I plugged it in and it worked like it was never perfectly. Every single component survived intact. Getting it wet while powered up may cause problems.

I had an open case in my dorm room. During a party ( :) ) someone spilled water around the place. Some waterfalls got inside PC, on my GPU. It turned off. After some cleaning worked flawless :)

Back