• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte x99 stuck in boot loop, new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chigge

Hi,

My new build is stuck in boot loop. I tried all the steps in this guide (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261145-31-perform-s...) without success.

I tried qflashing the bios with ram, GPU and CPU conncted but it kept boot looping. Also tried without ram and GPU with no results. BUT when i tried to qflash withouth anything but motherbooard, psu and USB the qflash was successful. But if i tried booting without the USB the motherboard kept rebooting again. Same problem when reconnecting ram and GPU.

I have tried the PSU on another computer and it works.

I am pretty sure I have a bad motherboard but I thought I would check with you guys before I return it.

I have the following components:
Corsair cx 750w m Bronze ATX12V 2.3 Modular
Gigabyte GTX 960 2gb
Gigabyte GA x99 UD4
Noctua NH-u12s
Kingston 32gb 2666MHZ DDR4 Cl15 (kit of 4) Fury black series
Intel 5930k

Hope you can help me and thank you in advance.

I had a UD4 running with no problems since last fall. I am using Crucial DDR4 though. Any chance you can try some Crucial DDR4?

Hey so here is the fix

So the issue you are having is most likely a factory installed defective Bios and to fix this is relatively simple.

all you need to do is first start by Removing all the ram off your motherboard. With another computer download the latest BIOS revision for your motherboard from gigabyte's website (you may have to unzip the file first), then rename that bios file GIGABYTE.BIN. Format a flash drive to fat32 (if it isn't already) and throw ONLY that file onto the flash drive. With the ram still off the motherboard and the computer off, stick in the flash drive with the Bios file on it into the White USB port, and turn the computer on. On the back of the motherboard you will see your flash drive (if it has a light) and an orange LED on the motherboard start flashing. Once you see the flashing stop and it becomes a solid, turn the computer back off (you may have to hold the power button for 10 seconds) remove the flash drive, and install only 1 stick of ram (for now) and then turn the computer back on from this point your computer should actually give you a display and should finally be working.

I work at a Microcenter, and had a customer come in with the same issue and spent an hour and a half trying to figure this out.

The Bios refused to actually install without having the RAM removed from the system. So that is key

Recap
1. Turn off the computer and remove all RAM DIMMS from the motherboard
2. Using another computer download the latest Bios from gigabyte's website for your motherboard
3. Rename the Bios file GIGABYTE.BIN and put it on a clean flash drive with no other files on it.
4. Put flash drive into the White USB port on the back of the motherboard, and turn the computer on
5. Wait for the flashing lights to stop (USB and Motherboard LED)
6. Turn off the system (May have to hold power button for 10 seconds)
7. Remove the flash drive.
8. Install only ONE RAM DIMM for now and turn the computer back on.
9. Enjoy your functional computer.

I really hope this helps you

Sincerely,
Some random Microcenter Employee

Thank you so much for this! I was going insane replacing parts on my new 6800k system, not sure what was going on. An update of the bios stopped the boot loop. Guess the CPU is too new for the stock bios.

Hello,

This is my first post at this forum. I've registered just to say, your recommendation on BIOS update unfortunately din't work for me. I've updated my GA-X99-UD4 rev 1.1 MB to the latest available BIOS (f22h) and it actually helped to get rid of annoying reboot loop, but still no display or any other sign of life. Coolers are spinning and that's all. Now it seems i can't downgrade BIOS as it instantly reboots on each try to power on PC with no RAM and only flash drive with GIGABYTE.BIN on it.... Don't know what to do now. Gonna try another RAM brand in few days and probably give up at this step if id doesn't help.

---
ga-x99-ud4 rev 1.1 (f22h bios)
Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB DDR4 PC4-19200 [HX424C15FB/16]
i7-5829k
ASUS GTX 970 Strix
Corsair RM650

Last edited:
the new bios actually fixed my boot looping issues, it would bootloop about 30 times before showing the post screen and boot up normally
this happened every time you started it, put it to sleep, ect...

the new bios actually fixed my boot looping issues, it would bootloop about 30 times before showing the post screen and boot up normally
this happened every time you started it, put it to sleep, ect...
Thank you for your reply. Do you want to say I need to wait? Is sounds wired. I don't have boot loop after latest bios update. Just silent spinning of coolers and that's it. No display, no reboot, no nothing.

clear the cmos
I found out I can't set up XMP or when it boots the pc will just sit there and do nothing like you described, flip the psu switch on and off a few times booted it for me

clear the cmos
I found out I can't set up XMP or when it boots the pc will just sit there and do nothing like you described, flip the psu switch on and off a few times booted it for me

Flipping psu, resetting cmos didn't help either.
It makes me feel I have bad motherboard. Waiting for new ram to arrive aftertomorrow - the last thing I hope to help. Very upset as it is very hard to get replacement of motherboard in my country.

Try using Q_flash to flash the F20 BIOS. If there is an OC socket switch on that board shut it off before you flash. I've always had better luck that way.

Ok so... i was on f22h BIOS. After I turned on pc without ram it rebooted several times and seems on third cycle bios led started flashing (f20 BIOS file on flash drive). After it "completed" pc stuck in reboot loop again automatically (not sure it is "healthy" behaviour) till i turned it off manually. Here is short video of this process :

I was not sure bios update completed properly so I turned on PC with flash drive and no ram again and this time BIOS led was flashing a little longer, then flashing stopped as per bious update guide. Added 1 ram. On First boot it was "alive" for approx. 15-20 seconds then rebooted itself and on second boot it just keeps coolers spinning. Still no display output. I heard people have headache with this motherboard but i never thought this is so serious (i had rev. 1.0 previous year with same CPU but another type of ram and it was working like a charm, hope replacing ram tomorrow will help).

ps. sorry for my english, not native language.

When you installed the "one" stick of ram, did you follow the manual? These Giga boards can be really picky about that.

Giga ram.JPG

When you installed the "one" stick of ram, did you follow the manual? These Giga boards can be really picky about that.

Yes! I have also tried other slots after that. You guess what was a result =) I'll update thread after i get new RAM tomorrow ( Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x4GB KIT DDR4 PC4-21300 (CMK16GX4M4A2666C15R) )

upd. I've also inspected CPU pins precisely, but seems all of them are fine. Could it be just an i7-5820k problem? I mean bad CPU itself?

I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR ADVICE AND HELP !

Last edited:
More likely the board than the CPU. Gigabyte's new BIOS release for Broadwell"E" hasn't went well. It was causing similar problems with the SOC Champion. You might want to start a support ticket with Gigabyte now. Just explain the issue. They may have a Beta BIOS to send , never know.

More likely the board than the CPU. Gigabyte's new BIOS release for Broadwell"E" hasn't went well. It was causing similar problems with the SOC Champion. You might want to start a support ticket with Gigabyte now. Just explain the issue. They may have a Beta BIOS to send , never know.

strangely enough, jayztwocents said the new broadwell-e bios actually fixed all his problems with the soc champion, he had bootloops, failed posts, unstable oc's, bsod's, flashed the new bios and it fixed everything same as my board

Ok guys, so here are results.

I've got new ram Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x4GB KIT DDR4 PC4-21300 (CMK16GX4M4A2666C15R). Installed one and tried to run system - no luck. After that I've updated BIOS again (i had f20 version and again installed the same), reset CMOS, replaced mobo battery with fresh one and started system with 1 ram slot aaaand - got display output! Seems i had inappropriate RAM (meanwhile i had Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB DDR4 PC4-19200 [HX424C15FB/16] which fits specifications). Now system works properly and quite stable.

I appreciate all your advice! Thank you!

Deffective ram then?
That ram should work becuase its bascially the same as mine.

Back