• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte z170 8 short beeps (CPU interruption error)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vmackey

Hi just built a new pc but when I turn it on it shuts down and restarts after a few seconds.

I'm getting 8 short beeps from the motherboard, gigabyte say CPU interruption error but can't find out what that means or what to do?

Any help would be great.

Gigabyte z1700-gaming k3
Intel i5 7600k
Patriot viper 3000 kHz
Corsair cx750
No gpu yet

CPU interruption means something is wrong with the chip. Remove the CPU and check for bent pins on the motherboard's CPU socket.

Also remove the memory and reseat them. Check to be sure they're seated correctly. Check with your motherboard's manual for the correct memory slots to use.

Hi thanks for the reply, motherboard looks fine memory looks to be in good!

Could it be a bios problem says supports 7 series but seen the bios for it didn't come out till after the chip?

Hmm, then i would take it the current bios that is installed on the board is older and does not support the 7XXXk chip. You're going to have to find a low budget 6XXX series chip and flash to the current bios so the board will accept the 7XXXk chip.

Or swap boards to a Z270 line.

Yeah looks like I need to update bios, cex has some cheap ones will sort it then return it! :eek:

Well got a cpu that should work with the bios but the same is happening turns off then on 8 beeps same again!

I took it all apart couldn't see any bent pins and put all back again still just the same!!!

What cpu did you get?

Have you tried with one memory stick (in the proper slot)? Different stick in that one slot? Does the beep pattern change with no memory in it?

Weird that gigabyte told you what that means but hasnt given additional instructions...?....im confused. Id reach back out to giga and see what they say..i highly doubt you have 2 dead cpus.

Edit: i see other links stating 8 beeps is a display error (which makes sense since you do not have a gpu installed). Do you have a cable connected to the video output(s) on the board?

Youve reset the cmos, right?

You said the memory "looks" fine, but did you physically pull it out and reseat it? How many sticks and in what slots?

Did you confirm the 4/8 pin cpu power plug is in properly?

Be sure you are answering the questions asked of you clearly. The language used says it wasnt checked.... seems like the cpu socket wasnt checked until you swapped cpus either. :)

Last edited:
You would need to get a cheap Skylake CPU to update the bios before you can run the Kaby Lake. Kaby Lakes were not supported in bios when Z170 boards first came out. Kaby Lake had not debuted yet.

I checked out the CPU and MB and both support on board graphics, BIOS F20 supports the i5 7600K, so if the OP does not have F20, then he does need to update the BIOS as some have said.
Oh BTW, Vmackey you have 3000MHZ memory not 3000KHZ and your MB is a Gigabyte z170-gaming k3, NOT a Gigabyte z1700-gaming k3 :)

Back