• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Z170-E -- Audio LEDs pulsing green, no boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

3|ink

Registered
Hi, All,

I'm building a computer for my dad. This isn't my first rodeo, but this is the first time I've encountered so much difficulty building a computer. When I switch on the PSU, the power LED comes on and stays solid. After about 2 seconds, the audio LEDs start flashing green. Nothing else happens. None of the fans turn on. Nada.

I've consulted the manual and it doesn't tell me what it means when the audio lights are flashing green. I doubt it has anything to do with the RAM but I tried booting with a single stick in every possible configuration (with both sticks) and no go. I'm pretty confident that I'm inserting the RAM all the way. I've also tried disconnecting all of the power except for the motherboard power, and the same thing happens. I even tried booting up with the PSU for my computer and got the same result. I'm at a complete loss.

Here's my build:

i5-8400
Z170-E 1151
GEIL 8G 2x4 D4 2400
IPSG 240GB SSD Drive
Corsair CXM 650W 80+B SM PSU

No video card. I'm relying on the CPU's integrated graphics. (But I also tried booting with a video card installed just for kicks and no go.)

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

An i5 8400 is an 8th generation (Coffee Lake) Intel CPU. The motherboard you are trying to use it with was made for 6th generation Intel CPUs (Skylake) and will not work with the i5 8400. You need to get a 300 series Intel-based motherboard. It doesn't have to be a "Z" class motherboard as the Zs are made for overclocking the "K" series CPUs. Your i5 8400 is not overclockable so save some money and get a non Z 300 motherboard.

Or get a SkyLake CPU :) When planing a build, always do your home work, this way you avoid things like this. If your not sure, ask around here and someone will help.

I just looked up your CPU at Newegg and it tells you what MB to use.
Intel Core i5-8400 Coffee Lake 6-Core 2.8 GHz (4.0 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 65W BX80684I58400 Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630

Last edited:
Back