• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5 and Corsair CX750M

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chucktheiceman

I haven't actually built my own system in a while so I apologize up front, but my motherboard has a 12v 2x4 which I'm assuming is for the CPU. My power supply has what looks like a 2x8 for this slot but just by looking at the plastic shapes on the connection it will not fit in the connection on the motherboard. It also splits into 2 separate 4 pin connections. How should I be connecting my power supply to my motherboard?

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X
Processor: i7-6700k
Power Supply: Corsair CX750M

Attachments

• powersupply.png
    powersupply.png
    72.6 KB · Views: 1,588
  • motherboard power.png
    motherboard power.png
    271.6 KB · Views: 265
That one does not fit as an 8 pin onto the motherboard in that connection. The shapes don't even line up.

- - - Updated - - -

If I split the 8 pin connection on the power supply one half of that connection does fit into the 4 pin holes on the right hand side in my picture.

4pn?

Essentially this is how I have it connected now, but is it correct? My processor only arrives today so I want to be sure before I crank this up.

powerconnection.png

You would need it all plugged in, typically. As I said, the CX750M has the right connector for the ATX 12V CPU. It is the smaller of the two hardwired (non modular) plugs. Its either the 24 pin, or the 4x4 8 pin for the CPU.

There are two connections that are not modular, one is plugged into the motherboard, the long one. 24 pin I think? The other is 8 pin but it DOES NOT fit into the motherboard. The shapes don't even match up. When split apart as it does it becomes 2 4 pin connectors, one will plug into the board as I have shown above in the 4 green squares. There is no way to get all 8 connections to fit.

E_D is right you need all 8 occupied and it's the small cable from the PSU that isn't modular. There are only the two attahed directly and one of them is way too big.
It will fit the motherboard make sure it's oriented so the tab clicks over the tab on the mobo socket. If it doesn't fit you don't have it oriented correctly

As I stated though, the shapes of the connection are not even the same. I dunno. I must say that tech support from both Corsair and Gigabyte are just TERRIBLE! Thanks for the try I guess guys but the cable just physically does not fit. There are the correct number of pins 2x8 but they do not line up with the shapes on the board.

I can later but I'm at work right now. Tried to find a google image of the corsair power supply connection but can't get a closeup.

They're all the same doesn't matter what brand. They have to fit a certain socket. If that one doesn't fit then the factory installed the wrong connector. Not impossible but unlikely.

Connector_mbpow_eps_12v_2x4pin.png

Pic_6.JPG

It will fit the motherboard make sure it's oriented so the tab clicks over the tab on the mobo socket. If it doesn't fit you don't have it oriented correctly
This.

It would be the first time in 20 years I have heard of a plug from the factory not fitting. Its possible, but highly unlikely.

EDIT: From newegg -

cx750m.jpg

Here is a video, you can see the connection at 3:28 into the video. The top row on this connection from TOP LEFT to Top Right where it would connect to the motherboard is

TOP ROW IS = Rounded|Rounded|Square|Rounded
BOTTOM ROW = Rounded|Rounded|Rounded|Square

cpupower.png

But the connection on the board is this

TOP ROW = Rounded|Square|Square|Rounded
BOTTOM ROW = Square|Rounded|Rounded|Square

motherboard power.png

- - - Updated - - -

Wait...so maybe the rounded ones just fit into the squared holes? I tried for like 15 minutes last night but it wouldn't budge in there. Maybe they were just out of alignment because it is actually two pieces stuck together?

- - - Updated - - -

I feel really stupid right now guys, I'm really sorry for wasting your time. Wow really sorry. Thanks for the help. I was just so worried about damaging the board I didn't want to force it at all.

Maybe they were just out of alignment because it is actually two pieces stuck together?
Now I think we are cooking with fire!!! :clap:

I feel really stupid right now guys, I'm really sorry for wasting your time. Wow really sorry. Thanks for the help. I was just so worried about damaging the board I didn't want to force it at all.
No worries in the least. Just check it out tonight and report back!! :)

Have you tried to plug it in? They're made like that so that you have to put the 1 connector to the right for orientation. If you look at the pics I posted they're the same.

No worries Chuck

Heh - no worries.

The first time I changed out a power supply on a PC, I labeled all of the connections on the old power supply and drew a picture before I disconnected everything...and then I looked at the new power supply and was like...duh...didn't need to do that!

Now you have one under your belt! :thup:

Back