• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte Z68AP- D3 Reboot problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RayS29

Hi all,
Just completed a new build and when trying to install Win 7 Pro it gets so far and reboots. I tried with win xp and then with windows 8 on different drives and results in the same problem,all these are purchased versions not downloads. Not sure about the CPU or memory settings so bios is set to run optimised defaults.
Summary of tests i have tried so far.
Tried USB install on win 7
Replaced PSU from 500w to 750w.
Replaced SATA DVD drive
Replaced Corsair ram with OCZ and tried in each slot one stick at a time.
memtest for 6 hours on all RAM.
Reseated CPU and heatsink and applied new thermal paste.
removed Video card and ran from onboard graphics.
Have tried a SSD and 2 different western digital SATA harddrives.
Tried different SATA ports
Flashed Bios to latest version for this board (FD) .
Moved a harddrive with XP pro from another PC onto this one and it wil boot to safe mode OK and sit there in idle without rebooting.

Specs
Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 (ver 2.0)
Core I5 2500K
Corsair 2x 4gb DD3 1600
Gigabyte 6770 video
Ultra power supply 750watt.

Could this be a MB or CPU failure? thanks for any help....

no sounds like its probably just your bios settings,on my motherboard i have to go into bios and select my dvd drive with windows instal disk from the quick boot menu and select for it to start in "bio's boot" mode otherwise it will fail to instal windows because it started the dvd drive in efi mode and windows install wont run properly.

HERE is a guide to making windows run in efi mode if you dont have the option to start your dvd drives in bio mode.

Hi all,
when trying to install Win 7 Pro it gets so far and reboots.

Sounds like Windows 7 is detecting a hardware problem and thus rebooting.

When Windows gets P-ed at hardware, it often throws a blue screen and reboots.

Looks like XP does the same type of thing, but XP don't have AHCI support out-of-the-box, thus, XP probably has a hissy fit because of the ATA controller.

naa its his UFI bios windows wont install under a dvd drive in EFI boot mode,he will ether have to find the option to start the drive in "bios mode" or edit his windows image to allow it to be installed in EFI mode.very common problem with newer motherboards running EFI bios.

Not sure about UEFI so only upgraded bios to version FD.This is the latest bios version before EFI for this MB. Have tried installing Win 7 from USB and reboots as well.
No blue screens just reboots and starts install again.

Have also tried the following.
Removed CMOS battery and reset.
MB is on a bench not in case.
Removed USB mouse
Tried usb keyboard with adapter in PS2 port.

Not sure about UEFI so only upgraded bios to version FD.This is the latest bios version before EFI for this MB. Have tried installing Win 7 from USB and reboots as well.
No blue screens just reboots and starts install again.

You might not see a blue screen.

naa its his UFI bios windows wont install under a dvd drive in EFI boot mode,he will ether have to find the option to start the drive in "bios mode" or edit his windows image to allow it to be installed in EFI mode.very common problem with newer motherboards running EFI bios.

Are you telling me that Windows 7 requires a modification to support EFI?

no you dont have to modify windows for EFI if you have your bios set right but on some boards the default settings wont load a windows install,mine for instance i have to go to my dvd drive and select it and start it with a certain option(dont remember the exact name of the option without looking) the other option is to follow M$ guide HERE

Should i be using UEFI?
Looking at other similar problems on this forum there are comments about disabling all the CPU power saving functions in Bios ,will try this later today.

if you have uefi available for a bios upgrade and are still running old bios then i would defiantly suggest it,just be sure to read the upgrade procedure well before performing it,
uefi will ad alot of options and convenience and hopefully fix your problem.

i cant speak about the UEFI with Gigabyte i gave up on there boards years ago for personal use,but UEFI has been great on my Asus boards.

seeing as you have a Gigabyte board maybe you should wait and try it as a last resort considering wingman's post.

SOLVED: Disabling EIST,C3/C6,C1E and Turbo boost seems to solve the problem.Successful install of windows 8 then tried windows 7 install on another drive and this worked to.
Thanks for all the help.

great, glad to hear you got it worked out are you able to turn the features back on after the instal?

The power saving features are still disabled, ran Prime95 as a test and it was stable with temp never going above 60 using stock cooler. Not sure if i can leave these off ,seems to run fine without them..

You can leave the power savings features off with no problems it only saves less than a 1/2 a watt at idle.

Back