• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte Z87OC running legacy gpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

keny

I'm running into problems running old legacy gpu's on this board, the problem seems to be some sort of bios issue with recognising the old hardware, I have two old X1600 pro gpu's that I are not playing ball!! I put the gpu in the board and from a cold boot (has been unplugged from mains power) it recognised the card and booted into windows no problem, so I restart the system only to get a blank screen,no flash screen,monitor goes onto standby??? The card is vmodded so I think maybe the mods are overloading the pcie slot somehow (highly unlikely as there not cranked up) so in goes the other card and same issue, boots on first boot but only after being unplugged from mains for a few mins, so both cards act the same modded or not, I flashed to different bios versions, enabled all the legacy options in the bios, plugged in extra pcie power for the board and it still fails to boot after the initial success unless its been left unplugged from mains for a few mins, I can't even get drivers installed as it needs to restart after its installed and then it fails to boot, and once it does fire back up its as if the card has just been installed with the "new hardware found" pop up apearing on startup. Any ideas Lol

It's general issue with new boards and older ATI cards. Set PCIe to 2.0 and it should help. I had the same with X300 or X1800XT also on Z77 boards. Even some newer ATI/AMD cards are throwing black screens when some boards have PCIe 3.0 enabled.
On MSI X79A-GD45 I had to use ATI cards in 2nd slot/PCIE 2.0 or it didn't work at all.

There are also no drivers for new systems and I think these cards won't run good in Win7 too. At least I gave up after I wasted couple of hours trying to make X300 work.

Yeah, its definately an issue, its just strange how they seem to work fine on first boot then go to pot after restarting

Back