• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Gigabyte Z87X-OC Force and Sniper 5 Corrosion Concern

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skorpien

Hi all,

I was on Facebook earlier and saw a rather disturbing post from a big name in watercooling warning users not to use plain distilled and biocide if they're planning on including the integrated waterblock from the GA-Z87X-OC Force into their loop. The post said that Gigabyte is using aluminum for the material so galvanic corrosion is a risk. As I have the GA-G1.Sniper 5 which also has an integrated block (which I'm planning to include in my loop) it got me a bit worried.

Now I've read a review of the Sniper 5 board where the reviewer completely tore down the motherboard including the heatsinks and discovered that the block is just a copper pipe with an aluminum heatsink around it (held together by thermal paste).

I'd assume that Gigabyte would know enough not to use aluminum for the piping in their blocks. I'm also assuming that they'd use the same materials and manufacturing process for both of their boards considering they came out at around the same time.

The post has since been deleted, and I'm guessing it's because they realized that the aluminum doesn't actually come into contact with the water, though I can't be sure. Does anyone know for sure if they're copper or not? I'm not at home so I can't check the board physically.

I've also reached out to Gigabyte but have yet to receive a response.

Thanks in advance!

Just an update. I peered into the barbs on my motherboard and it seems that Gigabyte is using a nickel plated (on the outside only) copper pipe for their waterblock. My guess is that the post I saw was made in haste after noticing that the heatsink itself is made of aluminum without realizing that the pipe is copper and that no water actually comes into contact with the aluminum.

Though I can't comment for certain on the Z87X-OC Force, I'm betting it's safe to assume that the same applies to that board as well.

The intent was noble though, so I can't fault that company for making that post. Just had me worried a bit.

Did you at least try calling the company numerous times for verification?

No. I haven't called Gigabyte or the company that posted about the waterblock being aluminum, though I did try asking Gigabyte on their Facebook page. They have yet to respond. And the conversation I was having with the other company was deleted along with their post.

Like I said though, I physically checked the inside of the barbs on my motherboard and it looked like it was copper on the inside. I can email Gigabyte to double check if anybody wants confirmation from them.

Back