• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Glue chipped core?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
So my I brought my Duron out, and discovered the heatsink (clip type) clip was on backwards which put a lot of pressure on one side of the die becasue the heatsink wasn't in full contact with the core. (That would explain the hot temps :bang head )

Now I heard metal grinding sounds when I was removing the heatsink, and sure enough the die's edge has been shaved off badly....
I am assuming it still works, but before I test it, I want to know if glue will help prevent more die damage?

I have this Lepage 100% glue: http://lepage.com/100glue/TDS/100Glue.pdf says it's good up to 80*C for short periods of time, and 50*C otherwise.
I will try to keep the CPU under 50*C anyway. I might find a better fan for this heatsink (avc 112C81) since it didn't too bad in thermal tests, if it sucks, I'll be hunting for a better one.

Either way I worried about more die damage.. :(

Images are best I can get :-/
IMG419.jpg

IMG423.jpg

It's so old the molecules are falling apart.

That and I must have taken the heatsink on and off 50+ times. :facepalm:

Needless to say, the clip heatsinks sucked. Glad we went to the screw on heatsinks.

So...You're going to glue the heatsink on or just drip some over the die? What about something like thermal epoxy? That'll definitely be OK with the heat.

So...You're going to glue the heatsink on or just drip some over the die? What about something like thermal epoxy? That'll definitely be OK with the heat.

I was thinking of just dabbing a small amount of glue over the chipped edges to help hold it together.

If not, I'll just be careful when I put the heatsink on.

I guess it doesn't matter if I put some glue on the chipped edges as long as the glue isn't conductive right? (Which it isn't)

The actual core lies in the PCB. These chips are quite common on sA processors. Have run quite a few that looked like that.

You want to just paste it like you normally would. Should work just fine. At least under my water blocks, never had an issue. can't speak for air cooling on the other hand. Don't think glue is necessary..

The actual core lies in the PCB. These chips are quite common on sA processors. Have run quite a few that looked like that.

You want to just paste it like you normally would. Should work just fine. At least under my water blocks, never had an issue. can't speak for air cooling on the other hand. Don't think glue is necessary..

Well, I glued the chipped parts anyway :p
Let the glue dry, put some AS5 on, and gently clipped on the heatsink.

Runs fine under P95 blend @ stock.
Currently running blend mode @ 1065Mhz @ 2 volts Vcore.

Seems to be holding.

But yeah, this seems common. Googling reveals many thread about cracked dies and chipped corners. Guess I'm lucky it's not too damaged:shrug:

Well, I glued the chipped parts anyway :p
Let the glue dry, put some AS5 on, and gently clipped on the heatsink.

Runs fine under P95 blend @ stock.
Currently running blend mode @ 1065Mhz @ 2 volts Vcore.

Seems to be holding.

But yeah, this seems common. Googling reveals many thread about cracked dies and chipped corners. Guess I'm lucky it's not too damaged:shrug:

That part that's chipped isn't the actual core S_P. The core is located down into the PCB.

SOI my friend.
the silicon junction is above an electrical insulator

What you can see is the silicon cap that goes over the top of the core to protect it.
It's not very thick. The core looks similar, but more rainbow colored.

What you can see is the silicon cap that goes over the top of the core to protect it.
It's not very thick. The core looks similar, but more rainbow colored.

Rainbow?
That'd be neat to see. :D

Need a glass heatsink to show it off :p

Back