• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Goal: 5Ghz on fx8320

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I do not know what it is but I would be awfully surprised if it was 1/8th" thick... no way.

Not even hardly for IHS. The few I have taken off from older AMD cpus were less than a 1/16th inch thick and took less than 0.025 inch to flatten. I quit lapping when I went to water blocks with the concave area in the block for the crown of the cpu. YMMV and it is cerrtainly strokes for folks.
RGone...

yea, you guys are right lol 1/8th of an inch is way too thick... when thinking more closely about it maybe the 1/8th figure was the entire height of the IHS, not the thickness of the metal. i no longer have the link to where i saw this information though

it really was just a question of curiosity though. i thought it'd be easy enough to find, i guess not lol. no big deal

FYI i have been running months on end @ 4.75ghz stable. my load temp sometimes spikes to 60C, so i am definitely cooling limited. i consider this a very successful result and am very pleased. occasionally if i dont have my PC well ventilated during CPU intensive tasks it will crash, but this is usually me forgetting to turn my fans on high. i do think i could hit that 5ghz barrier with more cooling, but this is good enough.

thanks to everyone for your help along the way :)

FYI i have been running months on end @ 4.75ghz stable. my load temp sometimes spikes to 60C, so i am definitely cooling limited. i consider this a very successful result and am very pleased. occasionally if i dont have my PC well ventilated during CPU intensive tasks it will crash, but this is usually me forgetting to turn my fans on high. i do think i could hit that 5ghz barrier with more cooling, but this is good enough.

thanks to everyone for your help along the way :)

That's great Kamel, glad it worked out for you.

Thanks for the update "Kamel". it is always nice to know how things hold up and the long-term results. Again, thanks.
RGone...

Back