• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going AMD > Intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stang8118

Ok well ATM i am planning on building an a64 setup, then converting to intel 820 core CPU in a month or two. I want to buy stuff for the a64 now that i can use on the 820 core later. My question is can i use ddr1 on the 820 core cpus? Also they use 24pin PSU plugs correct? Sorry i am a Intel noob.

I plan on getting the cpu/mobo/windows package from the intel retail edge program. Gonna sell the mobo, a64 cpu, possibly ram when i get the package. Also i plan on NOT using the intel board that they are gonna send with the package, which board would you guys recommend for it?

I will be running h20 on this setup.

Yes the new intel boards use 24pin PSU plug. You can NOT use DDR1 either, only DDR2 on the 955x boards, also the vid cards are PCI-E i believe. The ASUS p5wd2's seem to be the rage atm.

I <3 my P5WD2

Why not get everything for the 820 system that you can afford, along with a cheap 775 processor, then just drop in the new 820 in it's place.

nikhsub1 said:
Yes the new intel boards use 24pin PSU plug. You can NOT use DDR1 either, only DDR2 on the 955x boards, also the vid cards are PCI-E i believe. The ASUS p5wd2's seem to be the rage atm.

You got it.

955 is DDR2 and PCI-e.

Why go with an a64 for 2 months, just to jump platforms?

Back