• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going for 5.1. Are the X-540s really worth it over the X-530s?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WorshipMe

I think I'm going to drop some cash on a 5.1 setup. I've usually just used headphones but I'd like to see how much of a difference 5.1 really makes when gaming.

So, I don't really want to spend a huge load of money, it's not that I don't have it, it's just that I don't really want to spend it. But if it is worth spending more on a higher quality setup, please tell me.

Back to the question. If anyone has used both the X-530s and the X-540s, could you tell me whether it's worth it to pay the extra for the 540s?

And... would I notice a difference buying a sound card for these speaker? Or would a higher quality set be required to really notice a difference?

Thanks.

They are extremely similar, I'd just get whichever one is cheaper. Onboard will be adequate for either of those systems although a soundcard always improves things, even if only marginally.

well considering the differences between the two systems really only being that
the 540s come with a monitor clip for the center chan and an independent volume control,
im not really sold on it. i have been completely satisfied with my 530s. both systems
are exactly the same from a hardware standpoint, as far as the actual speakers. the
only hardware difference is that the 540s have the "matrix" mode :rolleyes: which is essentially
just the amp upmixing 2 channel sound into 5.1, which is what any decent
standalone soundcard drivers will do for you. imho, just spot yourself the price and
get the 530s and use what you saved for a decent soundcard. and in my experience i
have noticed a good difference with the 530s from switching from onboard to an x-fi.

well considering the differences between the two systems really only being that
the 540s come with a monitor clip for the center chan and an independent volume control,
im not really sold on it. i have been completely satisfied with my 530s. both systems
are exactly the same from a hardware standpoint, as far as the actual speakers. the
only hardware difference is that the 540s have the "matrix" mode :rolleyes: which is essentially
just the amp upmixing 2 channel sound into 5.1, which is what any decent
standalone soundcard drivers will do for you. imho, just spot yourself the price and
get the 530s and use what you saved for a decent soundcard. and in my experience i
have noticed a good difference with the 530s from switching from onboard to an x-fi.
Thanks a lot for that. That's exactly the kind of answer I was looking for.

I too have the 530s and absolutely love them. I have used them mainly on an old soundblaster Live 24bit card that supported 5.1. I just upgraded to a X-FI Extreme Gamer, and I can tell you the difference is noticeable. My music is quite a bit clearer and the sounds are amazing, so its definitely worth getting a decent sound card if you can afford too.

glad i could help :D just be wary if you decide to buy an xfi. they are notorious
for causing problems on some chipsets but that shouldnt dissuade you from
considering one as they really do have the greatest sound quality and the 530s
will bring that out nicely :)

lol i know but for the price, theyre not that bad. i just dont feel like dropping another 200 for a xonar or prelude when i could go xfire with another 4850 :D

Back