• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going for the max on my hardware

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
I just got an eVGA GTX460 Superclocked with the purpose of running Cudas on Fermi. It took some patience to wait for the Lunatics group to make a unified installed for it, but it's now here. This thing is ripping through units very quickly. I also optimized the system by bumping my QX9650 back to 4GHz, tightening the ram timings, and running two Cuda instances at a time on the Fermi. I should see the RAC make a nice recovery on this machine.

On my other machine, an Athlon II X4 630, I'm working my way through OCing the newer AMD chips. The last time I toyed with them was on the K7 Barton series. I've got a Corsair H70 headed this way to water cool it on a reasonable budget, and I'm tweaking all the settings to get the max speed and bandwidth possible for it. Already I've bumped it to 3.4GHz on the stock cooler, up from 3.08GHz on the bios auto-OC and it's 2.8GHz stock speed. One of my GTS 250s has migrated to that machine to run 2 Cudas simultaneously as well. It was doing 5200RAC without a GPU. Now I should watch it rise nicely as well.

Basically I'm doing as much as I can to make my rigs run in top form without building a new machine yet. You'll know when that one hits the RAC charts. ;)

LOL! Wish I had found this thread before I saw your posts in Dolk's Guide - though Dolk will likely never look in here. You should definately wait on the H70 before pushing your AMD any farther, I'm sure cooling is your major issue there.

I'm really glad to see others taking up some of my slack. :salute: I've been told from On High that I have to start saving a little more on the electric bill, which means over the next few months I'll probably be replacing my old s939 rigs with current quads that are SETI only farm rigs. I'm glad to see someone still expanding their farm ...! :)

Well, someone has to knock Eaglescouter from the Top 10 for good. :D

The biggest obstacle for me building a new machine is that I don't *need* one. Oh, but it would be a monster.

It's too early to tell, but I'm guessing the output will be about the same as a pair of GTS250s, and better than a single GTX260.

It's ripping through units in 15 minutes average CPU time, depending on what's getting crunched.

I've got my fingers crossed for my overall RAC to get above 20k between both machines.

Just completed the DAC/RAC for the week. You've really sky-rocketed up there over the past two weeks - 4th Place on both lists! :thup:

DAC
RuthlessRufus ....... 44,628 ..... (14,258)

RAC
RuthlessRufus ....... 30,160 ..... (20,926)

I haven't been home for a week or I'd have the AMD rig pushing harder. It's still at 3.5GHz but I know there's more in it with the H2O system installed on it.

Back