• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going shopping:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Use cash to buy a prepaid credit card, use credit card to buy video card?

It's a waste of money to buy a holdover card, it really is.
Got paypal? Buy from the classies.

Why would you buy a hold over card and then get a 7970 when you already have the money for a 7970. Makes ZERO sense financially.

As ED said....... wasting 300 bucks on a hold over is not a good plan.

Don't bother with Canada Computers,
Order this http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161412
while they are instock

That 7970 is a steal at $359. You need to shake the etailer preference, save $40 and get that 7970 that Xeon linked. I reviewed one...its a solid 7970, no doubt.

Darren, either go big and buy a 7970, or go home. You are blatantly wasting what money you have by doing otherwise.

Use cash to buy a prepaid credit card, use credit card to buy video card?

It's a waste of money to buy a holdover card, it really is.
Q.F.T.

You are getting sage advice from people that have been there and done that. It would behoove your system and your wallet to listen to them. If you ask for advice, then don't listen to what is given (assuming it is good advice, which all of this is), it becomes excessively difficult - not to mention disincentive - to help you.

Maybe the way to go here after Hokie's post is to let Darren do his thing, his way and leave it at that guy's!! AJ. :shrug:

P.S. Correct ED!!

Last edited:
I want a GPU though.. :/ And Xeon, I can't buy from the internet. I would nab it if i could, but i can't.

edit: I found this? http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_559&item_id=048807 that would work too. and not buy a 7970 later.
Or get a 7950 from there for $50 less that performs the same...As mentioned in one of a couple threads we discussed GPUs in the past, even with a single 1440p monitor, you will want the 3GB of vRAM. We also discussed the performance teirs a couple of times as well. You have the resources Darren (your many threads)... take a look back at 'em and use them for a reference, ehh?

...here we go again... :-/

Last edited:
That's hilarious you linked the same card I did!!:rofl::rofl:
Were you looking over my shoulder? :chair:

Ya that 7970 is a steal at that price!!

Sure it would... but the point is the kid is going to blow a wad on a card for a couple weeks, then blow a larger wad later. That isnt fiscally responsible in the least.

We are leading the horse to water... :). He will purchase what he will purchase as we have seen the past couple months. :)

Debit card has a limit of 50$/day do you think i haven't already looked into this?

I'm not sure how your bank works, but both banks I have been with so far has had an easy system of eliminating the daily limit. Just call them up say you are going to be making a purchase that will go beyond your limit and they will lift it for the day. Otherwise, get a paypal account, link it to your checking account and you can buy from Newegg or other etailers who accept Paypal.

It's probably his mom that put the limit on the card. That's what I did with my kids.

Back