• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going shopping:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Haha, i won't! :) Thanks for reminding me xD

edit: silly me forgot to check the stock -_-

Last edited:
+1 to buying a pre-paid credit card at the grocery store.

Woah, you guys went to town without me! Thanks for all the great feedback! I'm going to go with the XFX one linked above.

Edit: after realizing the savings were due to a MIR, i likely wont end up getting around to it, because i always forget about those, i'm getting this one instead which is also cheaper up front http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_558&item_id=059130

+2 to buying a pre-paid card and then buying the 7970 online

Also if you are on a tight budget rebates are your friend, they really are worth the effort. They aren't hard to do, don't take much time and can save you $100s over the build of a full computer :eek:

That's exactly what i was looking for, right under budget and perfect, thanks Deal man. (your new nickname, the Hero Deal Man! :D). If i need more GPU power i'll just crossfire down the road! :) thanks for all the help guys :D

So, no more multiple monitors or 2560x1440? I ask that, apprehensively... VERY apprehensively (we are stuck in another rabbit hole already, LOL), as that card has 2GB and I wouldnt want a 2GB card with a 2560x1440 monitor and especially two monitors (that point was also covered, multiple times in previous threads).

Please think about that before you go and purchase a card... I have NO IDEA where you are at with monitors, lost site of that threads/weeks ago I think!

Y'know earthdog, you're one great guy for helping me all this time and putting up with my crap :) thanks man! I changed my mind from the 2560x1440x3 option to just 3 monitors all 1080. Would lets say 2 or three of those 7870's run that setup?

I thought it did D: That sucks... like a lot... i thought they would work as two separate GPU's but the would each do half the work...

But wouldn't i have like 4GB total of Vram? if i crossfired? and then i would be fine?

No, it doesn't work that way. There would be 2GB addressable per GPU. Crossfire doesn't add the two together, it would still be 2GB VRAM, there would just be two GPUs that alternate producing frames.

That's why the 7990 has 6GB of vRAM - 3GB for each GPU; the effective vRAM is still only 3GB.

Well that's silly xD or maybe i just am? I think what i'll do is get some other parts, and then save up for a better GPU, i can't really get anything that fits the budget that will last, i thought i might have been able to thanks for all the help guys! :)

My personal opinion would be to go for 670 or 680 with 4GB of vram if you plan on going SLI/Xfire, reason behind it, microstutter/framelag, I won't get into an argument about this as AMD themselves have apologized to their customers already about it, so even the company acknowledges it exists, and said a patch would be out to help remedy the issue(s) more prevalent on multi card setups.

If going with a single card, the ms/fl is NOT as noticeable, if not noticeable at all (As the 7970 for example gives more for the price point).

If you want to go with a gaming monitor (120/144 Hz 1080p), for the prices stick with a single until you know for sure you can afford 2 more. The ASUS 144hz panel can be had for $300 USD, and then the BenQ XL2411T can be had for $380~ USD imported from the UK. If you do more gaming than anything I suggest going this route over an IPS, if you do more photoshopping, video editing, etc. I would suggest finding a Catleap 2B or an Overlord Tempest OC 120hz model. Why build a gaming rig if you are limited by your monitor?

:facepalm:

The 7950 has 3GB of vRAM.

Or you could start another thread in a month and we can go round and round again.

Just a note, AMD is said to have a driver to resolve that issue by June/July IIRC. Also the 13.5 driver helps already so we have seen. That issue also does not affect everyone on every game...the issue IS certainly real, and Nvidia is better out of the box. But, IMO, its not worth it to pay the HUGE premium for 670/680 4GB over AMD solutions with 3GB considering, if the problem affects him it will be resolved anyway... not to mention, and yo havent been a part of this 3 month build process, we dont want to start from scratch on monitors and such... Let sleeping dogs lay, dear lord please trust me. We covered monitors before, etc... :)

We wont go round and round again, this is the last time, i've got everything set in stone for this rig and the next one! :) thanks guys :D

edit: the only thing i'm still deciding on right now is either the titans as originally planned or two 7970ghz edtion, or a 7990. that i'lll figure out on my own

yo havent been a part of this 3 month build process, we dont want to start from scratch on monitors and such... Let sleeping dogs lay, dear lord please trust me. We covered monitors before, etc... :)

I've been following it, why I dunno, but I must have missed the monitor part, NOTHING TO SEE HERE!!!!! lol

We wont go round and round again, this is the last time, i've got everything set in stone for this rig and the next one! :) thanks guys :D

Glad you finally found something you want to go with

Back