• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gonna make myself some Hats for my Fans!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

notarat

Like most people, I like a clean-looking case. I try to route my wires outta the way (mostly) so it may not be the "cleanest" around, by far, but it's okay...What I really hate about my build is those god-awful looking Noctuas, as can be plainly and painfully seen in the older pic below...

So...I'm gonna make some "hats" to cover them up!

The initial design is created in such a way to slip on over the existing mounted fan, and it replaces the existing grill with the one in this design.

I have a different design (without a grill assembly) which is ~1.5mm "taller" to account for grills which are already attached. That way, in case I re-use the grills at some point, I can just print out new hats.

The design can be printed in any color for which ABS or PLA filament exists. (I only have a PLA 3D Printer presently so I am currently limited to about 50 different colors.

Attachments

• IMG_0217.JPG
    IMG_0217.JPG
    647.7 KB · Views: 313
  • FanHat.jpg
    FanHat.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 304
Well it took longer to get a decent couple pics of the hats but here are a couple.

fit-wise, I thought I was gonna break it removing it from the fan (I printed my prototype at low resolution with only 10% fill so it's weaker than follow-ons will be)

Attachments

• IMG_0287.JPG
    IMG_0287.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 298
  • IMG_0294.JPG
    IMG_0294.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 584
I'll be throwing together the 120mm x 240mm hats and 140mm x 280mm hats soon so I can cover up the fans on my Radiators as well.

That requires nothing more than copying/pasting this design, removing one end off each piece, then joining them together...fast work when you have the designs already

I'll be throwing together the 120mm x 240mm hats and 140mm x 280mm hats soon so I can cover up the fans on my Radiators as well.

That requires nothing more than copying/pasting this design, removing one end off each piece, then joining them together...fast work when you have the designs already

You ought to sell some in the classies ;)
They look cool!

I guess you could print a bracket to attach it to a case too no?

You ought to sell some in the classies ;)
They look cool!

I guess you could print a bracket to attach it to a case too no?

The notarat 3d printer store :)

I'd contract you. Couple mods I want to do to my 932 Advanced before I move my stuff over... How thin can you print, and still be paintable?

The notarat 3d printer store :)

I'd contract you. Couple mods I want to do to my 932 Advanced before I move my stuff over... How thin can you print, and still be paintable?

Layer Resolution is:
High 100 microns [0.0039 in]
Standard 200 microns [0.0078 in]
Low 300 microns [0.0118 in]

Realistically, though, whatever I print needs to have a base of at least 1mm to be strong enough to remove it from the "raft" (that's what they call the layer the printer puts onto the build plate in order to hold the part being printed in place)

The grill portion on the hat is comprised of 1mm thick hexagons

I'm still working on my case design now but I will let you know when I am ready to start printing

Layer Resolution is:
High 100 microns [0.0039 in]
Standard 200 microns [0.0078 in]
Low 300 microns [0.0118 in]

Realistically, though, whatever I print needs to have a base of at least 1mm to be strong enough to remove it from the "raft" (that's what they call the layer the printer puts onto the build plate in order to hold the part being printed in place)

The grill portion on the hat is comprised of 1mm thick hexagons

I'm still working on my case design now but I will let you know when I am ready to start printing

Whenever your'e ready

Heads up on what I'm looking for, I will need like 3 things. A cover for the wire management holes, but has to stand off so the wires still can be ran to the mobo (main 24 pin and fans) And something for my PSU cover, with a fan hole similar to what you made on your hats, just with smaller hexes, but still 120mm... 3 pieces total, wire cover, and 2 for the PSU cover (side and top)

I should be finished printing my hats tonight or tomorrow morning so, once I do, I'll install them and take some updated pics of my comp.

I've been a bit under the weather (tonsillitis...just not "quite" bad enough to have them removed) so my work output has suffered

Finalized the 140x280 Double fan hat. Took forever to decide on the font, but I happen to like it. Now I need to print it before I get a wild hair up my *** to do something like throw the Corsair logo on the triangular area between the fans

zYXaO7g.jpg
zYXaO7g

My tonsillitis is evidently more than tonsillitis but I'm still working despite a throbbing headache, wet cough, sore throat, and just being achy all over.

Getting ready for when I get my nest 3D printer with a dual extruder head. Gonna start the print on 3 of the grills from the upper-right-hand (Single 120mm) then I'm gonna drink shots of NyQuil until I pass out or get better...

aU6bDiI.jpg

:(

Feel better soon man.!

On that same note, those hats look cool! :thup:
The black with red grills is my fav :D

Stand by.

I have something that may be pretty frikkin sweet to show tomorrow morning...

(I hope it works, lol)

Awaiting results! :salute:

Currently printing out the prototype

Basically it's the fan cover but with a snap-in grill section so I can create any grill design and just snap it into place. It lets me print multiple color grills with a printer that has only 1 extruder and one can mix and match which grill they want with each cover they want

Here are some mock-ups I did last night

hIQGtm2.jpg
hIQGtm2

Clever my friend :)

I can see a niche for this, question is, how will these hold up removing and replacing grills?

Back