• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good free firewall?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
BrutalDrew said:
Just stick with the windows firewall. Outbound filtering gives you nothing, but a false sense of security.

I find outbound filter very usefull when it allows you to block a particulat ap from accessing the net. For example I allow all activity for firefox, but block all activity from IE. I was amazed at how often IE tried to contact ms.com when it wasn't even running. Also I block internet access for media player, rm player, basically anything not firefox or emule.

Will windows firewall do that?

BrutalDrew said:
How would an outbound-filtering firewall help if you are already infected?

If you install zone alarm on an infected system that is infected with a trojan then when that trojan tries to call home or go to an irc server for instructions it will be blocked until you aprove it. Very simple, very clean, and very useful in the fight against trojans and other nasties.

Damage by a worm, trojan etc is minimized by running an inbound filtering firewall on all clients on the network. Host-based outbound filtering gets you nothing except a false sense of security. If something gets on your machine it doesn't matter anyway as. Zone alarm could easily be disabled by the trojan. The idea is to not let things get in your machine in the first place.

Host-based outbound filtering will not achieve any of these and is in no way more secure. It is more of a marketing thing then anything else.

I find outbound filter very usefull when it allows you to block a particulat ap from accessing the net. For example I allow all activity for firefox, but block all activity from IE. I was amazed at how often IE tried to contact ms.com when it wasn't even running. Also I block internet access for media player, rm player, basically anything not firefox or emule.

Will windows firewall do that?

Yes the windows firewall will allow you to do this.

BrutalDrew said:
Damage by a worm, trojan etc is minimized by running an inbound filtering firewall on all clients on the network. Host-based outbound filtering gets you nothing except a false sense of security. If something gets on your machine it doesn't matter anyway as. Zone alarm could easily be disabled by the trojan. The idea is to not let things get in your machine in the first place.

Host-based outbound filtering will not achieve any of these and is in no way more secure. It is more of a marketing thing then anything else.

Yes the windows firewall will allow you to do this.

You are kidding right? If you believe that it is just marketing and has no use whatsoever then you are dead wrong. Most things that the outbound firewall will alert you to are not from things that an inbound filter will stop. Like with everythhing thing security related it is best to use a range of tools and techniques to make your system as secure as possible. I find use in a firewall that alerts when a new program is trying to reach the net from my computer. It is fine that you do not see a use in it but to take your personal feeling on it and act like that should be the word of the entire tech community seems quite presumptious of you.

You can use any firewall you want, but that does not make you any more secure then if you were to use the windows firewall. If you some feature that some third party firewall has go ahead and use it.

Last edited:
I love Kerio :)

It tells you about everything connecing to and from your 'puter and it gives the option to stop the connection(s) or stop it asking you about the connections. It also has webfiltering and a pop up stopper (For 30 days anyways) But with FireFox and Kerio you cant go wrong.

Back