• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good socket AM3 board suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Admiral Akmir

Registered
I'm looking for a good, reliable AM3 socket motherboard. I don't need to overclock or do crossfire, reliability is the main focus. I don't really know how to go about choosing a board, I'm scared to get something cheap, but the more expensive ones are higher priced because they have more features that I don't necessarily need, any advice would be helpful.

The thing is, IMO, the motherboard is the one thing that it is always a good idea to spend a decent amount of $$ on. It is the entire basis for your build, and skimping on one now will mean that it is more likely a few years from now that you'll have few if any upgrade paths, and will be forced to buy a totally new computer. I made that mistake with my last build where I bought an EVGA 780i SLI right before it went out of production, and so I had absolutely no way to get a better graphics card or CPU for it, and was stuck (due to the fact that anything that would be an upgrade would need a different socket).

That said I'm not sure what to suggest in terms of single card boards.

MSI is a great company imo. As is Asus. I don't think you can go wrong with either; always remember that a PO'd customer is much more likely to post a negative review than an extremely happy one is to post one.

what cpu are you going to get??

the asrock extreme and asus sabertooth are awefully good boards and the prices are comming down a little.

Last edited:
ASRock, ASUS, and Gigabyte are generally the top three motherboard manufactures. MSI isn't bad with their high-end boards, but their low-end boards aren't quite as good.

I'd probably get ASRock or Gigabte. ASUS boards are probably a bit better than everyone else, but their equivalent boards cost much more than the competition at the budget range.

Back