• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Google Crome - NEW Web browser

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deRusett

Google is entering the Browser market it appears.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/fresh-take-on-browser.html

So why are we launching Google Chrome? Because we believe we can add value for users and, at the same time, help drive innovation on the web.

All of us at Google spend much of our time working inside a browser. We search, chat, email and collaborate in a browser. And in our spare time, we shop, bank, read news and keep in touch with friends -- all using a browser. Because we spend so much time online, we began seriously thinking about what kind of browser could exist if we started from scratch and built on the best elements out there. We realized that the web had evolved from mainly simple text pages to rich, interactive applications and that we needed to completely rethink the browser. What we really needed was not just a browser, but also a modern platform for web pages and applications, and that's what we set out to build.

http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2008-09-01-n47.html

Awesome, more browser competition never hurts.

In a year or so I would say the same thing as you, but with Firefox finally beginnning to gain momentum I would have preferred them to let Firefox gain a bit more market share before the start snagging people.

I'm contemplating if I want to stay up to grab the beta at midnight. :drool:

Edit: I'd recommend reading the comic. Its pretty neat

Hmm. I wonder if it will have the same security flaws that the other Google apps have?

Well, more happily I'm sure they'll make a linux version; Google is actually fairly good about offering a windows/mac/linux version of their programs. I also like Google, I like gOS (though I won't use it; i still can like it) and the comic of the browser HERE was hilarious. I thought the section on how the browser uses multiple processes for each tab kinda funny, and reminicent of why you have ot reboot windows every day to keep it running smoothly. (semi-joke)

In a year or so I would say the same thing as you, but with Firefox finally beginnning to gain momentum I would have preferred them to let Firefox gain a bit more market share before the start snagging people.

I'm contemplating if I want to stay up to grab the beta at midnight. :drool:

Edit: I'd recommend reading the comic. Its pretty neat

That cartoon was very informative, thanks for mentioning it ;)

I cracked up on the picture of the two slim puzzle pieces pointing angrily at the fat puzzle piece who's eating food (memory bloat analogy).

Heck, I will try it! I have been pretty happy with Opera, except for the occasional lockups. I say the more the merrier as far as browsers go.

E

Duuuddddeesss ! ! ! I am loving this. The speed should be ridiculous. I have 8 or 9 tabs open all the time PLUS apps. After about an hour things start slowing down alot.

I will DL this for sure and feed it to my baby.

Only thing I am hoping is either an "IE TAB" equivalent like Firefox has or support for Active X controls, because 1 website I go to MORE then here uses Active X controls for many of the features

Awesome news. I'm curious to how innovative it really is and coming from Google, I'm sure it's going to be Linux compatible. If it's available come midnight, I will update on my opinion.

Well... 30mins to launch... I hope google doesn't crash, because I WANT IT!

I will see how well it compares to Firefox and let you guys know.

I'm waiting . . .

Is it going to be at

www.google.com/chrome
www.gears.google.com/chrome

I've seen those mentioned with reference to leaks, but I only get redirected to google from the gears one, and nothing at the google.com/chrome

arghh

I would assume google/chrome. Will probably be updated when it's released. And I'm betting it's later on in the day before it's released instead of soon after midnight. Though I can hope it will be out in a few hours.

I will wait for chrome 2.0 :)

That sandbagging technique for tabs sounds great, but its it sounds like running multiple browsers all in one window.. so resources must be huge.. of course google will trim that down by being completely barren of modern aesthetics. And complement it with no javascript support for blocking those really annoying ads sponsered by... oh yah google :p

If they could actually pull off a AOL/MSN web browser type thing and keep it updated... that would be huge....and I would definitly DL. That would be basically an internet desktop/

wait . . .

something's off with that google.com/chrome 404 page . . .

Maybe Pacific time? Google is in California

But that's 2 Am for me. :(

Back